Pages

Friday, November 2, 2012

how to make a beautiful pumpkin centerpiece

DSC_1102copy2

My Pumpkin Centerpiece

It’s been a bit hectic around here. Tomorrow we head for Newport Beach to watch Michael’s team row in the Newport Autumn Rowing Festival. And we’re meeting up with Patrick, so the whole family will be together again. Sigh, it doesn’t get much better than that.

But before I go, I did want to share some photos of a pumpkin centerpiece I did for last night’s birthday celebration for Mary. I’ve been dying to make an arrangement using hanging amaranthus and I’m loving how it turned out. Amaranthus is the soft green foliage dangling down this pumpkin.

Do you like it?

DSC_1068copy

This fall centerpiece is actually pretty simple to make and with Thanksgiving around the corner I thought you’d like to see how I did it.

This is vase I picked up from Joann’s Crafts Store. I found a pumpkin that was a perfect height for it.

DSC_1069copy

In this photo I’m holding the vase upside down over the hole just to show you the fit. I had already measured and cut the hole. (Actually my Dad did it while I sipped on red wine and talked to him. He’s another blessing in my life).

DSC_1070copy

You can continue to carve the sides until the vase fits snugly. In fact, a tight fit will prevent air from getting into the pumpkin, which should help it last longer. I chose to skip using any floral foam because the stems of the amaranthus are so delicate. So everything went into a vase filled with water.

DSC_1076copy

Look how pretty. I had brought two bunches of this amaranthus but I learned another lesson about putting flowers into the refrigerator overnight.

DSC_1074copy

This is what happens if the water gets too cold. My other bunch of amaranthus froze. But luckily I had enough.

DSC_1078copy

I used the following items for my arrangement

  • amaranthus, hanging
  • peach colored roses
  • a scarlet red Mum with yellow accents, a cremon, I think
  • small red apples, real
  • leaves and berries
  • cattails

DSC_1080copy

A spiky flower next to the smooth petals of a rose adds interest.

DSC_1082copy

These petite apples were small enough to fit on to a simple wooden skewer. It’s all that I had and it worked, although I did have to tape two skewers together to give one of my apples extra height.

DSC_1084copy

I went around the neighborhood in search of the perfect rose-tinged leaves and berries. I wanted deep purple berries but nature wouldn’t cooperate so I used the apple green ones I found. I already had the deep brown, fuzzy cattails leftover from a grocery store bouquet so I plopped them into the center for added drama. You can see all the textures and colors here.

DSC_1093copy

It’s actually a tall pumpkin. I forgot to take the measurements but it looked rather grand on Tracey’s kitchen island.

I did manage to get some shots for you before I dropped it off.

DSC_1103copy

I think my favorite thing about this arrangement might be the apples. What do you like?

DSC_1102copy2

Well, can you imagine this centerpiece on your own Thanksgiving table?

Drop me a line and let me know if you liked this post. And I’d love to hear if you decide to make a pumpkin centerpiece yourself. I’m certainly no expert on flowers or arrangements, so if I can do it, you can too!

And if you’re interested, you can see more of my Fall floral ideas HERE and HERE.

Before I wish you a happy weekend, I can’t forget to acknowledge the people who are still suffering the effects of the recent storm. I feel so sad and continue to pray for those who are in so much need. And I’m very aware of how lucky I am to be able to sit in my warm room and write this post.

Let’s all count our blessings today.

xoxo,

Leslie

I’m linking up here:

21 comments:

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

what a beautiful centerpiece! really a great looking centerpiece

Unknown said...

that is so creative! It turned out really beautiful!


www.studentswife.com

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

GORGEOUS Leslie!! I love it!!

chateau chic said...

Leslie, Your pumpkin centerpiece is gorgeous! Love the idea of using the apples.
Thank you so much for stopping by, Mary Alice

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

Oh my goodness... that is beautiful. You are so talented, Gwen! I agree, this would be amazing on our table for Thanksgiving... I may have to try to make my own little version of it :)

Ladies Holiday said...

Firstly I would have never thought of the vase in the pumpkin. So smart! And the apples are just such a nice touch! Happy Weekend!

GranthamLynn said...

Very pretty. Great tutorial.

Rose Garden Malevik said...

I just SMILE :) wonderful job......
and do not miss......

S
A
T
U
R
D
A
Y

S
H
O
W

O
F
F

it is FUN :)
WELCOME
Håkan ( The Roseman)

Pamela said...

Leslie your centerpiece is amazingly beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it at THT. Hope your week is going well.

Barbara @ 21 Rosemary Lane said...

Oh Leslie I love this! I am looking for ideas for a small tablescape centerpiece and this looks like it may work for me. I think I have a pumpkin that will fit the bill for this project too. If I put one together I will be sure to let you know!
XO Barbara

Kathy Olson said...

How beautiful! I have a few leftover pumpkins so maybe I could do this for one of the table centerpieces? Where do you find the peach roses?

Zo said...

If you don't have a vase that fits you could also cut down a 2 litre plastic drinks bottle to suit your pumpkin as it won't be seen

Unknown said...

This is so beautiful. I will certainly be making this for the credenza in our church vestibule this Thanksgiving! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Patty Sue 2 said...

I also think this is beautiful. I will be using this idea for decorating tables at our church Thanksgiving dinner.

Unknown said...

An amazing centerpiece!

signingcharity said...

I can't wait to try this but flowers in our area will be getting scarce by that time so I will likely try with artificial flowers.

Cindy said...

This is so beautiful! I'd love to see it done in false flowers. Then I could use it for a couple months, fall into T-giving. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

Or use a cleaned out vegetable or soup can

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I am not a flower designer but, with such good photos I might be able to pull this off. I have a small "fake" pumpkin that I am going to use.

This is going on my Thanksgiving Bucket List.

I agree the mini apples are so adorable.

Unknown said...


I love your arrangement. I used to make pumpkin arrangements in my Florist shop several years ago...here is some information for you: Apples put off Ethylene Gas & will kill the real flowers....florists never put them in their cooler for this reason. This could be what killed your Amaranths,if they were in the fridg at the same time, not cold water. So I would suggest artificial apples instead of real.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love the flowers you chose for this arrangement!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...