Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

pumpkins + flowers+ imagination= centerpiece

 

DSC_0453copy

My Pumpkin Centerpiece

There’s something about the changing of seasons that awakens my senses. Suddenly I see the crispy orange leaves and the drooping trees as a reminder of the passage of Time, and preciousness of the present moment.

Do you feel this way too?

57420963969679167_5spWsxcb_c

It’s a revitalizing jolt to my busy mind.

Somehow the rich, vivid colors of Fall seem to sharpen my eyesight and I see that change is a constant companion in our lives, it’s always there despite all our clinging and holding on. And it’s this tender realization, that nothing stays the same, that makes me slow down and look up at the sky. It makes me relish the simple stuff of life. It causes me to pause mid-sentence and notice my friend’s worried face or the sound of my son’s laughter ringing in my ears. Because it’s these real-life moments that become emotional snapshots in my mind, the ones that deepen my relationships, make me smile and feel thankful for my life.

156359418283746459_CfJsllro_cpabloluis.tumblr

via: pabloluistumblr.com

This past week there were no flashy celebrations or special occasions, but I did have lots of random moments to be grateful.  As I’ve gotten older, I’ve noticed this. I’ve realized that sparkling gems of contentment are found nestled in-between those loud, crowded celebrations that we await so eagerly. Only there’s joy in the mundane.

Have you discovered this too?

This past week it was the softer shades of life that made me happy.

There was an impromptu bike ride I took with Mr. Moss on a warm, hazy evening where we stopped and stood gazing at the shimmering surface of the lake at sunset.

I was grateful for our thoughtful conversation that turned suddenly peaceful over the meandering miles of our bike ride. And I felt lucky to be in love.

I was grateful for the lunch date with my parents where we ate soup and apple cake and talked about grandkids and life.

I was happy to run into my dear friend on a sunny bike trail where we had a unexpected chat about precious things.

And I was delighted by a funny dance moment I had with my son Michael as we rehearsed for the Christmas show.   

DSC_0444copy

And oh yes, I had so much fun when I brought home a few pumpkins from Trader Joes, piled them on to the table and decided to make a Fall centerpiece.

In case you’re interested, here’s what I did:

DSC_0486DSC_0408copy

DSC_0410copy

 DSC_0411copy

DSC_0412copy

I already had these items from my parent’s anniversary party a few years back. I had bought fake pumpkins from Wal-mart, dug out the center for the vases, and sprayed them white. I’ve seen these vases at the Dollar Tree.

It’s very inexpensive and easy to do.

DSC_0425copy

I used whatever I had on hand. Although I prefer to bring in items from outside, I used a few fakes here.

  • leaf garland
  • gourds and a few small pumpkins
  • one large pumpkin
  • 3 corn husks
  • flowers inside fake pumpkins
  • bead garland

DSC_0428 (2)copy

DSC_0429 (2)copy

DSC_0431 (2)copy

DSC_0437 (2)copy

Here’s a shot after I added corn and wound a bead garland around the arrangement. Very simple. I also tucked green Spanish moss into the space between the vase and pumpkin.

DSC_0413 (2)copy

Here I added ribbon around the pumpkins. Do you like this look?

DSC_0444copy

Here’s one view

DSC_0463 (2)copy

Here’s another view.

DSC_0447 (2)copy

I didn’t have time to put a runner down because I wanted to get the photos before it got too dark outside, but can you imagine this centerpiece with a pretty runner? You can also change the flowers inside the vases to accent your dinnerware.

Well, what do you think?

415316396856079339_1DqBTpcT_c_largecopy

I hope you’re enjoying the season…

xoxo

Leslie

I’m linking up at these fun places:

 

12 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

That looks so pretty Leslie!!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

what a cute idea! I have never seen styrofoam pumpkins

The Tablescaper said...

Greatarrangements!!!

I host a weekly linky party - Seasonal Sundays - and would love to have you link next Sunday.

- The Tablescaper

Linda said...

Lovely!!!!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Leslie, I just love your blog... just put it on my blogroll!
Great thought to contemplate!
Please stop by StoneGable for TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS my DYI linky party and share your profound thought and your pretty centerpiece. Link goes up tomorrow evening at 8:00. Hope to see you there!

Travel With Lulu said...

Oh, Leslie, you hit a home run on that pumpkin/vase get-up. I LuuuuVE it. Such a festive centerpiece - well done :)

Leanne said...

Fabulous Leslie, love what you did with the white pumpkins. Oh if only we had just a small Halloween selection of what you guys have over there I'd be very happy! And yes I treasure the mundane moments, sometimes they're the best ones. xx

Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl said...

What a beautiful blog. New fan here - I found you through Cowgirl Up! I would love for you to come share at my Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/10/farm-girl-blog-fest-3.html

Laurel Leaf Cottage said...

Nice arrangements!! I love the ribbon on the pumpkins! Thanks for showing how you put the whole thing together! I'm a new follower, I found you at Elizabeth and Co! Have a wonderful day! ~ Deanna

Leslie's Garden said...

So pretty, Leslie! I love the idea of making a pot out of the pumpkin. I like them sprayed white, too.

One More Time Events said...

Everything looks so pretty. If you would like to share it I would love to have you come by and Link up.www.onemoretimeevents.blogspot.com
New follower

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a pretty and natural centerpiece Leslie! And I wholeheartedly agree, there is much joy to be found in the mundane moments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...