Pages

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

how I fixed my office curtains (and actually sewed something…)

It’s been awhile since I posted on my new office, mostly because I’m still working on it. But today I thought I’d give you an update because it’s getting close. Now it’s just the fun tweaking stuff, like adding a new lamp and some accessorizing that’s left.

Oh, and did I mention I completely changed my window treatments after all?

DSC_0399copy

Do you remember this black and cream damask office valance?  Well, I really planned on keeping it in here.

But suddenly it was looking a bit stark in this white room, so I did a quick switch. I brought the lined cream curtains from my master bathroom into the office to see how I liked that look and I instantly knew. That was it. It’s such a softer, peaceful look in here now because I get the afternoon sunlight streaming through them…

DSC_0957copy

…only there was one problem, they were too short.

And problem two? I can’t sew. In fact, It’s almost strange how difficult sewing is for me, considering that I’m pretty good at visualizing things. But oh well, in the spirit of staying on my budget, I went out and found the perfect fabric, and this is what I did.

DSC_1036copy

If you’re one of those people who sews all the time, these photos will probably make you laugh. I have no idea if this is the way you add fabric on to curtains.

But I laid out my curtains and took my measurements. Basically I decided how wide I wanted my black strip at the bottom. 

DSC_1037

I decided to go up on the cream curtains ten inches and started pinning.

DSC_1039copy

I pinned the entire black fabric to the front of the curtain panel and down the edges.

DSC_1038copy

I decided to skip hemming and allowed extra fabric on the bottom for them to puddle on the floor.

DSC_1040copy

And drumroll please….ta da!!!! This is the view from over my desk. It’s hard to get photos because my desk unit is in the way, but I tried to take a few shots to show you the general look on this side of the room.

Do you like them better than the valance?

DSC_1033copy

DSC_1046copy

DSC_0070copy

Here’s the same spot before I redecorated. And see my old chair?

DSC_1061copy

I found this new chair at Cost Plus. It was the last floor model and I got it for $78.00. I couldn’t have found one on Craigslist and recovered it for much less. And I immediately knew it was the right chair when I saw it. Do you like it?

Well, I can’t wait to show you all my before and after photos, They’re coming next. And in the meantime, I want to thank you all for following along on this project. It’s so nice to share my little details with all of you, it actually makes it so much more …well, fun.

Blessings to all my readers, but especially those on the East Coast near the storm’s path. I can’t stop watching the news and shaking my head. And praying for you all.

xoxo

Leslie 

I’m linking up here:

 

8 comments:

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

I love that chair!!!! And the curtains came out great! ...and I make my own sewing rules :)

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

Love the chair! Makes me happy just to look at it!
Cheers!,
Barbara

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Cute chair, and the black added to the curtains looks great. Love the bold black stripe.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love the new chair and the panels! Can't wait for the full reveal!!

Pam Kessler said...

That is such a cheerful chair. Can't wait to see what the whole thing looks like.

chateau chic said...

Great idea and solution for your curtains. Pretty chair!
Mary Alice

Lynn Wood said...

I'm impressed...amazing job for a so called non-seamstress! I'm new to your blog and I've had a blast browsing your posts and pinning like crazy! That spooky Halloween table setting was just amazing!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog , I am so happy to have discovered yours too!

~Lynn

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

I love the curtains! They are so airy and light on top yet have that stripe of pizzaz that also gives some substance. Beautiful!

Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
<3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...