Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

beach cottage guest room

 

 

DSC_0925 copy

 

Hello friends.

This past weekend I finally painted the closet doors in the guest bedroom and erased the last remnant of brown paint from the room.

So today I thought I’d share an update with you.

DSC_0885

(closet)

Here’s the tan paint color of the bedroom when we moved in.

I painted it right away because it felt so dark in there..… and although I’m taking these pictures on an overcast day, I hope you get a sense of how light the room is now.

DSC_0917

I found this very cool picture of Van Gogh in a Huntington Beach Goodwill store and I was immediately smitten with the vibrant, gorgeous blues in it. It became my inspiration for the room.

Plus for five bucks I couldn’t pass it up.

It seemed perfect for a cottage beach bedroom and I hung my vintage bamboo coat rack over it with some beach hats.

DSC_0990

I placed the King size bed on the longest wall and decided to go for symmetry with two lamps and side tables on either side.

But even though the lamps are the same I didn’t want matchy match bed tables in here.

 

DSC_0996

I’d been lugging two vintage suitcases around with me forever and recently I found the perfect size suitcase to complete a side table. 

 

DSC_0948

Trimmed in navy blue too.

The other table is made of black iron and is practically the same height.

DSC_0902

Another one of my projects for this bedroom was to paint this pine chest.

I decided to  leave the drawers alone and painted the entire frame black. Then I applied a clear wax and painted the knobs white. It actually fits the nautical vibe I’ve got going, even though I was really just being lazy (not wanting to paint those drawers).

DSC_0916

I’ve been collecting beach themed oil paintings and this old lobster is actually covering up a hole that a plumber made, thank you Mr. Lobster.

BEFORE

previous owners had tan walls and these panels

DSC_0867

AFTER

Now replaced with lined linen drapes from my old home and bamboo shades.

(Someday I’d love to trim the windows)

 

DSC_0922

 

DSC_0866

DSC_1004

DSC_0974

This headboard is actually the footboard from the bed frame in our Master. I just spray painted it white since it doesn’t fit in there with our smaller room size.

DSC_1000

 

 

DSC_0910

(I’m still looking for the right pillows…)

IMG_1648

The once yellow-looking closet doors are now Winter Gray.

DSC_1002

 

DSC_0959

 

IMG_1651 copy

I took this picture with my IPhone on a cloudy day but it gives you an idea of the room.

Lucky I got those closet doors painted before the rain came.

So tell me. Have you been working on any project lately?

 

xo

Leslie

 

I’m linking this post at Inspire Me Tuesday and The Scoop and My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

 

30 comments:

AntiqueChase said...

Looks very welcoming. I have a tan room that needs painting too!!! Why don't I feel motivated to do it??

Marcy

Tami said...

No projects here right now. Been spending most of my time in my sewing studio. I guess I ha do have a few projects going in there. But no home improvement projects. It is amazing what paint can do isn't it? The room looks great I love the lobster painting.

Thehouseofhampton said...

Hello Leslie,
I have been working on a few projects! Your lobster painting jumped out at me as one fine piece of art!!! Good eye. I think trim on the windows will be amazing.
Sharon
The House of Hampton

Unknown said...

Leslie, it looks picture perfect, I love it! The painting of Van Gogh is fabulous, I can see why it was an inspiration and you have transformed the window with the blind and curtains...have a lovely, happy week ;)

Sheepskinsandfairylights said...

I love this room! I think the current pillows/cushions look great. They pick up on the hats and the colour of sea and sand. Have a great week Xx

Tamera Beardsley said...

What a fabulous makeover my dear! big kudos! Nothing like a great makeover to get my heart racing in appreciation … whether it be a room or a person! There is just such a special skill set involved … to see something as it is … and have the vision of what it could Be! All the while taking in the knowledge of one's resources to get there! So beautifully done my dear! You have been so busy!

Let me know when you have the time, Id love to come to your neck of the woods … and catch up over coffee! xoxo

Sarah said...

Looks like an inviting guest room. The nautical theme is perfect for a beach cottage. ;-)
No projects here, just taking care of usual routine tasks. I need a project!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Making my reservations to be your first guest ;-) love love love the transformation!! But then again you know how much I love your style!

Pam Kessler said...

It's beautiful. Love all the hats on top of Mr. Van Gogh's head :) I've been eyeing some bamboo shades for my dining area and you may just have tipped me over the edge of indecision with your photos!

Leslie said...

It's so pretty Leslie. The painting was a great find. Beautiful combination of colors and textures. Those hats are perfect .. love them ;) and I don't blame you for getting rid of that tan color. There is a lot of that here in the PNW and it drives me nuts. Hope you are having a wonderful Tuesday:) xxleslie

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I LOVE this room, Leslie! The blue is so fresh and I love it on the suitcase, too! The suitcases make a charming bedside table! Love the idea of using the footboard! Your guests will never want to leave!

Unknown said...

I love this look, Leslie! You have such an eye for creating a unique vibe in a space. The blues in that painting are eye catching. I love the fresh white paint and linens. This room is so welcoming and sets the perfect tone for coastal living. Lucky guests!
xx, Heather

Karen said...

Leslie,
What a wonderful change. I really like the Van Gogh painting. I'm always looking for paintings, what a find.
The room is so inviting and I like the luggage nightstand. The place is taking shape, great job.
Painting is my least favorite DIY, but we almost always do it ourselves. We have a room in our house that needs paint, both walls and trim, ugh.
Karen

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Leslie, FIVE DOLLARS for this wonderful aqua-rich painting of VanGogh? YES YES YES! I love how this piece pops out from the white walls, and your make-over is such an improvement from the tan walls. White walls are my favorite because as you have done, one can change out the décor. Lovely room, and you have inspired me...oh if only I could find such a painting! LOVE IT! Anita

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Fresh paint is magic!

Carla from The River said...

Very well done. It looks fresh and sea like to me.
I am starting to plot out my gardens for the 2015 growing season. My boys have decided they enjoyed helping me with our Fresh Flowers and Produce stand we had last year, so we are going to do it again. :-)) We are also planning on building a different garden stand.

Lottie said...

I love the VanGogh painting! The room is all beautiful!

Calypso In The Country said...

The room looks beautiful - love the colors and the Van Gogh!
Shelley

cindy hattersley design said...

Leslie I love everything you have done. You have such a gift for combining elements. I love the stack of suitcases and what you did with the chest...and that Van Gogh...the icing on the cake!!

Art and Sand said...

The entire room looks great. I love what you did with the dresser, but the table of suitcases is my favorite.

michele said...

oh leslie!!! i love what you have done not just because of the end result but i can FEEL such freedom and soul in your choices. the room feels very european and beachy and evolved and thoughtful and not at all put together quickly. inspired over here! love and peace to you right where you are.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

So inviting and cozy.

Lori said...

No projects yet this year but lots of things whirling through my mind. Your new room looks fresh and inviting. Happy weekend. xo

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Looks great! Love how you made the chest so unique!!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

It looks so cute...

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Looks adorable Leslie. I love the painting and the whimsy of the hats!!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

What a wonderful beachy transformation, Leslie! Of course I love the straw hats hanging on that vintage coat rack. And the window treatments make such a difference, too! The suitcase bedside table is a great way to showcase your wonderful old luggage. You've made the room bright and welcoming!

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

A wonderful transformation Leslie ….. you've done a great job and have a good eye.
…. and, many thanks for your kind birthday wishes. XXXX

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

What a wonderful transformation Leslie.
I love how you used your vintage suitcases; genius.
Everything looks so inviting. Be careful your house-guests don't decide to get comfy and stay permanently ;-)

Privet and Holly said...

Leslie, this is so
lovely! Blue is my
favorite color, the
ocean my favorite
place, so I'd feel
very at home in this
special room : )

BTW, I've never found
anything remotely as
great as that painting
in ANY California Goodwill.
(My parents rent twice
a year in Palm Springs
and my daughter goes
to college in SoCal.)
What a find!

xo Suzanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...