Pages

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Selfies, Jewelry, and feeling ridiculous (oh yeah-and-this-is-Me)





Hello friends.

Well, I certainly didn’t plan on writing a post about Selfies today but if you’re a regular here you already know I love to talk about things in life that baffle me-excite me-or challenge me.  So today’s topic pretty much covers all three of those.

First—here’s the excitement part:  




When was the last time someone sent you a gift in the mail for absolutely no reason?

Not your birthday. Not a holiday.

Nada. Nothing. Just because.

Well that’s what happened to me recently when Vannessa from Luxuria sent me an elegant set of hammered multi-toned bangles from her jewelry collection…totally out of the blue, as a little token of blogger love.

Honestly, this is one of the amazing parts of being a blogger---you end up becoming friends with people from all over the world, following them through their ups and downs, knowing the names of their family, offering support from a distance when you see them struggling. Funny, the little details I end up knowing about my blog friends. They may be women I’ve never met in person--- yet I have this distinct feeling that I “know” them.

So let me tell you about Vannessa.

She’s got an inspiring fashion blog —and a gorgeous line of jewelry. She lives in a 300 year old cottage in London and regularly writes posts about all things related to being a smart woman with a sharp sense of style. I can’t even remember how long I’ve known Vannessa but based on my memories of her life, it feels like it’s been a long time.

Okay, here’s the selfie part of the post—baffling and challenging me all at once.

Do you want to know how much I like Vannessa?

Well.

I like her SOOOOOOO much that I actually agreed to take a few pictures so I could share my new bangles and do a little shout-out for her jewelry business. And this is no small thing for me.

If you’re a regular here you might have noticed I don’t post pictures of myself much. Well actually never.

 (Except for this one little yoga pose)


After several years of blogging, this is actually my first picture I've ever posted of myself. 

Wow. That's hard to believe... even for me.

But truthfully, I may be the last official woman on earth who doesn’t take Selfies.

I know. Call me a dinosaur. 

But I admit, I'm totally mystified by that urge to pause-in-the-middle-of-whatever I’m doing, to take pictures of myself. I literally never do this.

Although I loooove to see your Selfies, I absolutely do! 

I so admire those women like my friends Tamera and Elizabeth who are refreshingly unabashed about sharing their self-portraits with the world, and whom inspire women of all ages to do the same. 

Express your own version of beauty and humor and self-confidence, they say to all of us, and do it through the art of taking Selfies. If you visit their blogs, you’ll see for yourself how easy it is to get caught up in their exhilarating freedom of expression.

But Moi?

I admit it; I’m not a convert yet.

Does this make me an old fuddy-duddy?

Honestly I just don’t get that 'Empowered-This-Is-Me-Being-Totally-Me-Feeling, as I struggle to figure out how far to hold my phone away from the gigantic-looking face I see in that screen.

Do you know what I mean?

Because sometimes I feel like I'm the only one with this view.

Those rare times when I’ve tried to take a Selfie it brings out my absurd side; that part of me that laughed out loud when Jim and I walked into an “Ugly Xmas Sweater” corporate party dressed in formal-wear because we literally missed the memo.

The Me that trips in public because I misplace my glasses and can’t see the curb.

It's the posing part that makes me feel a tad ridiculous. That suddenly brings out my "Tom-Boy"side ....the Me that prefers old jeans and t-shirts and who never finds time to get my nails done, because there’s literally 1000 things I’d rather be doing than sitting still long enough for someone to paint my nails. 

I jokingly call it my 'Dude' side;  it's the Me that recently got my first tattoo at age 57 with my 22 year old son after we met for a cold beer at a bar in Newport Beach and had a great talk about Life.

I guess my point with all this blathering ….is to say, please don’t let my geeky posing as a jewelry- model keep you from visiting Vannessa’s blog and introducing yourself. It would be so kind of you to visit her at Luxuria-Jewellery and tell her I sent you!

She was so sweet to send me these beautiful bracelets.


Let's see. If I lift my hair up would it draw attention to the bangles? Opps...too blurry.


Maybe if I hold my hand up...but wait, the bangles keep separating that doesn't look right.....


What if I hold my arm up... balancing it on my other arm? At least the bangles all fall together, but what's with that plastic smile? 

I could keep going but you'd be bored silly. I know I am.

But you should know that these bangles really do look great with everything! And I sure hope you have fun checking out Vannessa's jewelry. 

Oh and before you go...please tell me, how do you feel when you take Selfies?

xo
Leslie

joining these friends:

WowusWednesdays

30 comments:

Stacey said...

Hello gorgeous! Love the earrings and the selfie. :)

Joanne said...

I never take selfies and I never comment. But...I have to say, " You look gorgeous for 57!".

Simply LKJ said...

I for one am glad you at least took a few. You my friend are gorgeous. How amazing are those bangles too! I have taken a few, but usually have one of my girls in on it with me. LOL

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

LOL No, I never take selfies. Dinosaur? Fuddy duddy? Perhaps... Once, though, my husband and I were sitting in the car at Sonic. We'd just placed our order when the grandsons called on FaceTime, so we huddled close and talked with them. When our order came out, the gal said, "I saw you two taking selfies." We looked at each other and burst out laughing and though, "no, you really didn't."

michele said...

i love that you're stepping out of your comfort zone and showing us your pretty self, leslie! those gorgeous bangles are becoming. i will definitely check out Vanessa's site...thanks for the introduction. i have always been in front of a camera one way or another. my parents filmed everything we kids did, and i am grateful because i don't think anyone ever says 'man, i wish there weren't so many pics and movies of me from when i was young.' the culture is obsessed with selfies but surely this is just a phase paralleling the internet revolution and consciousness not catching up quick enough. we have to evolve but also have a sense of humor about it in the mean time. our great grandchildren will study us in their virtual textbooks for social psych classes like ADDICTION TO SELFIES, CELEBRITY, AND HANDHELD DEVICES IN THE EARLY 21ST CENTURY. thanks for being vulnerable and letting us see you. xox

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I LOVE this, Leslie! So nice to see your BEAUTIFUL face!
It's fun to see the person behind your wonderful blog! I love the bracelets, too!

cheri said...

I don't do selfies either, I think it's all the posing that I'm not comfortable with. Spontaneity is the spice of life, plus more natural. I don't do facebook either, don't want to put my self in the position of comparing my life to others....I sent your last post about your dementia patient to my brother-in-law. He's caring for his mother and enjoyed reading your words of wisdom, as I do too. Love, love, love your blog. Thank you from my heart.

Kim said...

I thought you posted an older photo of your husband and yourself a few years ago. Anyway, you are gorgeous. Love your glasses too. Oh, and the bracelets are also very pretty. I cannot believe you got a tattoo with your 22 year old son. You are way cooler than me!

kddomingue said...

Selfies? Oh, great gods! No, no, no, no, no! It's all I can do not to bolt when I see someone else pointing a camera at me! If I MUST have my picture taken, either my dude side, my drunk/stoned looking side or my deer in the headlights persona takes over. To get a good photograph of moi, you must go into stealth mode and take the photo before I'm aware that you're doing the deed.....and you'll only get one shot at it so you better make it good! As for a selfie? Take a picture of myself? On purpose? Lol! I tried once. I was so traumatized by the experience that I've not yet recovered from it!

You, on the other hand, take a lovely selfie!

Leslie Harris said...

Kim Gibson how the heck are you?! Oh my goodness, I have a fuzzy memory of that head shot now that you mention it, you're right. Scary how I couldn't remember that one! Boy we go back a ways don't we? I sure hope you're doing well. Also I did get a little tattoo to commemorate my yoga training. It's on my right wrist, a piece of delicate writing. My son had been joking that we get our first tattoos together (he's an English major and wanted a literary reference) He wanted to make it a special occasion and I thought it was so sweet. Here in Huntington Beach almost everyone in my yoga community has a tattoo, it's such a part of the lifestyle I don't even think twice about it. :)

Leslie Harris said...

Susan I wish you could hear me laughing through your computer screen...I was imaging you two with your heads down in your car talking to your grandson and seeing your reaction after the gal mentioned the selfies. That is so funny, we would react the same way!
xo

Leslie Harris said...

Cheri, your words really touched me. I can't tell you how much it means to know that you found something helpful to share from my last post. That's really the reason I share on my blog, and my heart goes out to your brother-in-law. Care-taking of a dementia patient can be so draining and I hope he has a good support system. BTW--I absolutely understand why you stay away from facebook--good for you that you know yourself well enough to realize FB might affect your peace of mind. I think it affects a lot of people in a negative way.

xo
Leslie

Leslie Harris said...

Lauren you're so lucky to have daughters! I probably would have fun taking photos and being in them if I had a girls to share that with. My boys?  Hate pictures. They like to make peace (and other) signs at the last minute, totally messing up my happy picture taking. I give them a bad time and sometimes I get a nice shot, but I look funny in our photos because they're each 6'1 and I'm only 5'2.  When they put in the middle I end up feeling like I'm in the land of the giants hahaha

Karen said...

Leslie,
You're adorable and it's always fun to put a face with someone that weaves such wonderful words into inspiring text! I'm not a big fan of selfies either, but I enjoy the ones I get from family and friends.
Love the bracelets!
xo,
Karen

Sarah said...

Leslie, do you know how much fun it is for me to have a face to put with the personality I've know all these years? You are just as gorgeous and natural as I pictured you in my mind. I didn't have you wearing glasses though. BTW, I adore your tortoise glasses!
I'm with you on the selfies though. In fact, I'm not a fan of having my photo taken, but I do like to have photos of me with family and friends. Just have to do it!
No selfies here. Never have taken even one. My favorite of the photos above is the first one.
Love the bangles. I'm off to visit to see these beauties.

Blondie's Journal said...

You are very much as I thought you'd look like, Leslie (not that I spent a lot of time doodling you or anything!). Just pretty, thoughtful looking, open and friendly, smart...and we both have widow's peaks! How do you feel about yours?

Love you even more now, girl. I'm going to spot you in a crowd the next time I come to California!

Jane x

Lou said...

Great to finally put a face to the name - I just did the same on my blog after seven years of anonymity! Quite liberating. Lou x

JoanMarie said...

Hello Beautiful! Your selfies and bangles are just adorable! As much as I love being behind a camera I have yet to see a picture of myself that made me say "ok, that will do"...not once. Mike tries to capture pics of me on his phone and for crying out loud if I don't always look confused, stunned, or holding myself in a most unflattering way. I recently had to go apply for a passport and I crossed my fingers that the photo would look somewhat normal, but again, nope...I just laughed....when I showed Mike he said hugged me and said "yep, that's you"...So for taking selfies, you are awesome, for looking terrific, you are my hero! Another inspirational post my Dear and your soul truly shines through in your pretty smile. xoxo

Sandra Lee said...

The bracelets are gorgeous and you take great selfies! I, on the other hand, look ridiculous on the very rare occasions when I do take one. Trying to find the best angle so my double chin doesn't show wears me out!

Cheryl said...

Well now we all know that you are as beautiful on the outside as you are on the inside….As for taking selfies I have taken only a few (one to check my new hairstyle so that I can copy it again lol!) I hope that this craze will eventually fade away. Anyway, love the bracelets, and you are the coolest mom ever! And I love "your look", casual loose top, jeans, etc. Have a wonderful day!

La Contessa said...

LAST WEEK!
I received a BRACELET.........a christian Dior hat..........and pearls which I paid for but never less were NAMED AFTER ME!
ALL IN THE SAME DAY!!!!!!!
IT WAS SO EXCITING!!!!!!
I AM STILL ON OVERDRIVE FROM IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too feel silly taking SELFIES..................IT is hard to get a good shot!BUT I GET THE MOST LIKES IF IT IS ME !!!!!
I did a little TEST a few months ago.........the animals get the fewest likes than the GARDEN than ME!!!!!!!THE MOST.
I think people like my VERVE and what I WEAR!
I DONOT THINK I AM PRETTY OR FABULOUS................I am having FUN with color and backgrounds and being ARTSY.INSTAGRAM is my CREATIVE OUTLET...................my way of saying I'm HERE I WANT TO COME OUT AND PLAY and see what you are wearing today or what new piece of furniture you have FOUND at the thrift shop!IT's about SHARING MY LIFE and finding people who share the same.XX

Leslie Harris said...


Oh dear. JoanMarie. We are soul sisters in so many ways but lets start with the reactions you have when you see your photos hahaha that's ME!!! I do the same thing! I also see that same stunned, awkward -or generally weird expression on my face and it doesn't help that my hubby gets a case of ADD whenever he's in charge of photos and likes to start snapping away while everyone's still talking or worst--eating. And like Mike, my husband doesn't see all those subtle little flaws that I'm seeing. Aw, it's funny and it's good for our egos right? You're such a dear person, thanks for being YOU.
xo
Leslie

Leslie Harris said...

Elizabeth as you can tell by my last ridiculously long response to your comment (what you seek....post) you know how special I think you are. There are those people that inspire others simply by their exuberance for life. That's you. I consider you a wonderful role model for getting me out of my comfort zone. And I do love the idea of using IG as a creative outlet, you do a fabulous job with that!!!
hugs,
Leslie

Leslie Harris said...

Kim! You are so awesome my friend. Anybody with your sense of humor is my automatic BFF!!! Yeah, that dude -drunk/stoned-deer-in-the-headlights persona that shows up in your photos, that's Me too!
The key is to take lots of shots and eventually you'll find one that looks like the best version of you, which is a special kind of beautiful.
xo
Leslie

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

I appreciate your love (and selfies) SO much my friend. I hate doing them myself so I know how hard it must have been for you and I appreciate that. But let me tell you, you look GORGEOUS my friend. You really do. Kindness just radiates from that gorgeous smile of yours. How could you have ever kept that hidden from your blogging friends for so long? It's a crime ;-)
Thank you so much for the shout-out Leslie. Love ya to bits xxx

cindy hattersley design said...

Oh boy am I in your camp. I detest pictures of myself. You are gorgeous by the way...not surprised. Elizabeth is always harping at me to post pics of myself as well. If I were as pretty as you I might be more willing! I was the "cheerleader" (I know embarassing) that always ruined all the pics so the photographer had to retake. It is a disease I am afraid. The older you get the worse it is as well...great post!!

Carla from The River said...

I am like you. I can not make my eyes work to take the photo. I have tried to take a selfie only a few times more as a silly thing to do for my boys. And it never really works.
You are beautiful!!
Thank you for the fun post.
I thought it was cool, how you got a tattoo with your son. xx oo My oldest will be 17 in April, we have many talks lately. I have to say, I am so thankful, being a mom to boys is special.
Carla

Debra@CommonGround said...

You are very brave my friend, and oh so lovely. It's so hard for most of us to put ourselves out there for the world to judge. I take horrible pictures, just not photogenic at all, so I applaud you! I think your immersion into Yoga has probably given you a boatload of inner confidence. again, I'm clapping here. Can I be honest, hope this won't offend you... I've always been a fan of Marisa Tomei, and I can see a resemblance in your photos. Love the bangles and made a visit to her website. thanks for being you. xo Debra

Unknown said...

I'm happy to put a face to this beautiful blog. I too am terrible at selfies,but I enjoy the memories that comes along with reliving the moment of trying to capture myself in a selfie. Love the bracelets! Vanessa was being an amazing friend sending you a little piece of happiness. Keep writing and I'll keep reading. xo

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Leslie... you are adorable. So funny when I saw your pic I thought I never saw a pic of you. The bangles are great looking and so are you. Have a wonderful weekend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...