Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

kitchen dreaming….cottage country charm…

 

PicMonkey Collagewhite kitchen ideas

This is a day for positive thinking.

Because right after I rushed around and got all the Christmas decorations finally packed away and cleaned every square inch of the house, went out and bought fresh flowers and a few pretty pillows for the new ‘after holiday’ look…wouldn’t you know it?

We got a phone call telling us that our prospective home buyer was sick.

Sigh. It’s official, I hate this whole home selling thing.

So today’s post is purely eye candy to lift my mood and make me forget about my lingering cough and the fact that no one wants to buy my house.

Ok.

So do you want to see some of my current kitchen crushes? I’ve been collecting pictures because I’m pretty sure we’ll be moving into a fixer upper and it’s a perfect excuse to start thinking about my dream kitchen. (Notice how I said dream kitchen?)

tumblr_mz03nvUeYv1qkww7to1_500dailydoseofstufftumblr

Alright, you know me, I love vintage and white…and in this photo there’s so much to crush on….first off, that sign is calling my name.

But I’m definitely focused on the open shelving and the simple white tiles. I know those tiles are everywhere, but it’s such a classic (and affordable) look. In fact, I found a post that actually shows you how to cover granite with Home Depot’s basic subway tiles.

I know, how irresistibly creative can one person be? If you want this look and you have a granite backsplash, you have to read THIS post by the talented Jill Hinson.

a9f2cdf2a10ceedfa3ef7f05c65d1a8ekayvinson

Since we’ll be moving into a beach community, this is my latest favorite picture. I think it might be the wall color, doesn’t it just scream out ‘beach cottage’ to you?’ 

Also, putting bead board on the kitchen walls is a great alternative to the more expensive tiles which I might have to do.

Here they use both tile and bead board….

c3d6e496cdb0d0f8edf9430797358bf8

although in this kitchen, it’s used in place of the typical backsplash. I think the white wood looks so fresh and young in the kitchen.

Also, you should know that this is one of my many “pinned” kitchens with marble, because marble is my dream countertop.

Kitchen white kitchen open shelving black GysFTdbjUiLl

Here’s more open shelving in place of the typical upper cabinets….

kitchensink

If you’re thinking about removing a few cabinets for a more open look, you can get inspiration from Holly Mathis. As part of her kitchen remodel she simply removed the doors off her cabinets and she loved the change. She also took the big marble plunge and shares her thoughts HERE.

untitled

via

tumblr_miqlxjVU4i1qhmaqio1_500

 

605aeb03452f0c4310c17e5d0ae83ed3

 

135e7d2350cb212ec2645c245ca48d1f

5693a960c0f654ab2183f5b989f3478b

I like how the crystal chandlers contrast with the rustic beam…

..and of course, more marble countertops.

27e04a3f075b97a22768c9fab2141c10


Ah....window perfection.

I love its size and that it’s surrounded with glossy, subway tiles. And I find the lack of a window treatment to be a perfect decorating decision.

24f21a11f23adb06a5cf053d3424800bthingsthatinspire.net

Do you have marble countertops in your home?

IMG_2471

If you’re contemplating marble countertops in your kitchen, you really should read Joan’s post on the pros and cons of marble. It’s one of the most informative posts I’ve found and she’s got wonderful taste that she showcases in her blog, for the love of a house.

10bf75ff1d3b6ac5162b865b38599841

In a perfect world I might have this ceiling in my kitchen…

tumblr_my6p821K8G1qkww7to1_500

…or this deliciously wide-planked wooden floor.

5758206892_1002d77c94_o[1]_thumb

Although I did see this kitchen in Coastal Living and I thought this painted floor would look perfect in a beach cottage. I just wonder if I’d get tired of all the color.

6e04ff8076584223da958152934f08a6

Now let’s talk cabinets.

I’ve never had custom cabinets but if I did, I’d love to have this storage feature…

69e580697e08df5b02530b769827cd2f

…and this one too, because I’m not a fan of seeing appliances everywhere. Especially in a small kitchen, which I may have.

c8cfe6f0c2e1c1311aa37e0d92266c3a

I recently stumbled on these Ikea cabinets in the modern, country kitchen of the House & Home’s executive editor. And personally, I love the mix of materials in this kitchen. You can see her online kitchen tour by clicking HERE. 

And I don’t know about you, but I figure if Ikea cabinets are good enough for the editor of a lovely design magazine, they’re certainly good enough for little old me.

(Note to self: file this idea away)

 

9af6a79945b11682556e75c78453048eruralgirl.tumblr

Now this is one kitchen door that makes me feel all warm and gushy inside.

If I had this door you could come over and borrow eggs anytime, I promise.

Isn’t it the friendliest door you’ve ever seen?

 

75b0cc3e5d4261d7e253d8296d572491

And what I like about this picture is the idea of a table in the kitchen. We’ve lived off our big island for years and it’s sort of a novel idea to eat at an old fashioned table again.

Especially one that’s made of rustic Irish pine and sitting under a gorgeous chandelier. With lots of windows and natural light streaming through the room. Oh, and is that marble on the counters?

I don’t ask for much do I?

23e149a716cba9847d225dde26771960foxhollowcottage

A rustic, deeply grooved, authentic beam adds so much personality.

And there’s always a place in my heart for black and white….


And now it’s your turn…tell me,

What’s on your kitchen wish-list?

xo

Leslie

I’m sharing this post with these friends:

 

** (additional sources available on my kitchen Pinterest board)

 

27 comments:

Art and Sand said...

If I had a redo, I would have a different color of granite. I love how easy granite is, but if I had seen my friend's green granite before I went with ugly old tan, I would be a happy camper.

The kitchen is not my domain - both the kids and Steve prefer eating out over my cooking - but I would love to remove the doors and go with open shelving to show off our colorful dishes.

I am so happy we painted our stock wood cabinets white and hope (maybe in 2014 - The Year of the House) to at least change out a few of the doors to glass fronts.

I can't wait to watch you decorate and redo a beach house.

Debra@CommonGround said...

these are some of my favorites, too. yep, we're in the same boat. I can't see past this first move though. We'd love to build, but at this point have no clue. you're right, this IS the time to dream!

Lori said...

Wow ~ I have to go wipe my chin before I can even type. These are gorgeous Leslie! I would love a kitchen redo and although I would like a couple of open cabinets I do like hiding things away behind doors as well! Love the subway tile ~ it is such a classic. My cousin put Ikea cabinets in her kitchen remodel and she loves them. Happy planning and I will send good house selling vibes your way. xo

Tamera Beardsley said...

Oh my dear … what a stunning collection! The big chandelier, wood beams and marble took my breath away! As did the bead board idea and the white tiles … makes me want to do a redo! but I think I'll have to stick to changing out my sink for a long awaited farm sink. After seeing this immensely inspiring post … I know just what we will be doing the weekend!
Thanks for the inspiration my dear!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh my Leslie, you are having some really sweet dreams! A white cottage kitchen would definitely be my choice if I ever have the opportunity to do it again!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Leslie, Any of these would fit my idea of my dream kitchen. I love the look of marble but I don't know if I could live with it staining. The house I grew up in had Carrera marble kitchen and bath countertops and we even had a large sunken tub (it was the 60s!) made completely of Carrera. xx,
Sherry

Fishtail Cottage said...

thank you for posting this ~ we are getting ready to do a little kitchen remodel here at fishtail cottage and I am looking for ideas, so your post is perfect! oxox, tracie

michele said...

i'm crazy about your picks and am very familiar with a few of those kitchens because i have tear sheets of them or know the owner! my dream kitchen is bright, white, and seamless in feel. our kitchen is HUGE (i am too shy to tell anyone the square footage) but my dream kitchen is just big enough and easier to keep clean. so excited for you to create your next dreamy kitchen.

michele

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Leslie I LOVE them ALL!!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

beautiful pictures inspiration. I hope you sell your home fast and that you will get your dream kitchen. Our kitchen is not very large, but I am happy with a new oven :) see, I am easy to please, as long as I can bake. lol

AntiqueChase said...

some of the prettiest kitchens EVER!

Lottie said...

All the dream kitchens are beautiful! I love a white kitchen with black and white tile floor. One of my favorites is Dewena's kitchen at http://awindow-lookacrosstheway.blogspot.com/2013/12/our-kitchen-at-christmas-and-otis-milo.html

Leslie said...

Leslie,

I have a few of these pics myself;) You can't go wrong with all the white and I am loving the open shelves. The kitchen is the hub of the home and deserves to look just the way you want it to:)

xxL

Tamera Beardsley said...

Leslie thank you so very much for your encouraging words on my estrangement post. I have come to the conclusion also … that letting go is what I must do … but hearing the same advice from you, whose opinion I value so very highly, helped sooth my soul.

with much gratitude,
Tamera

Alison Agnew said...

i have so many
of the same photos pinned
to my kitchens board

one day we'll make some changes
but until then
i can dream!

i'm back hosting
Fridays Unfolded
and would love for you
to stop by!

Alison
Nancherrow (formerly Stuff and Nonsense)

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

This was a delicious post. Loved the eye candy.

karen@somewhatquirky said...

I was just looking at another post this morning featuring marble counter tops. A dream of mine as well. However I would give up that dream for two things - a big table in the middle of the kitchen, and one tall brick wall, where I could hang kitchen art. I love kitchen art. Thanks for this inspiring collection.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Leslie, you have a lovely warm home - it will sell. We just went through 6 weeks of showings and open houses. We were mentally and physically exhausted. It sold the friday before Christmas! Ecstatic as now we can move to the little cape cod we have dreamed about for years. I believe in the power of prayer and I'm sure Saint Joseph was tired of me bugging him, but I do believe he helped get me through it. Chin up and deep breaths, I bought lots of new lipsticks and boots to help me too! Patty/BC

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

I have some of these images pinned to my boards as well. I love that image from House and Home magazine of the antique table in the kitchen. That house is actually stunning and owned by Canadian designer Sharon Mimran.

I love the idea of marble but worry about the maintenance of it. If I did go with it then it would definitely honed marble.

Moving to a beach community is so much fun Leslie...imagine the design possibilities. Hang in there, your gorgeous home will sell.

Gypsy Heart said...

Beautiful photos! I love space in a kitchen, a bar that folks can eat at and a close eating area. There are so many gorgeous elements in these photos...would be difficult to choose. For sure, the dutch door and the chandys along with the huge window over the sink. :)

I hope you feel better soon! The perfect home buyers are on their way to you too.

xo
Pat
P.S. Did you bury St. Joseph?

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

These are all such wonderful inspiration photos, Leslie! I started re-doing my kitchen a couple of years ago...with starts and stops, mind-changing and wallpaper peeling...
Today we finished putting down the new floor and I can start to see an end in sight. About that time, I'm sure I'll be inspired by something that will get me making changes again lol...
I know it's hard selling a house and keeping everything ready for showings...hopefully it sells now that the holidays are over!

Calypso In The Country said...

Leslie, they are all so beautiful! We are in the early stages of redoing our kitchen...actually in the early stages of deciding how to redo our kitchen! I love all those beautiful inspiration photos! I can't wait to see what you do with a beach house. What a dream to live by the beach!
-Shelley

Unknown said...

My goal this year is to remodel my kitchen and the hardest part is deciding how to do it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning Leslie!

I AM 100% IN AGREEMENT WITH YOU about white kitchens! I have had a crush on this look since blogging, and that now makes 6 years. About 12 years ago now (hey, it's time for a fresh coat a paint!) I painted my kitchen a light orchre color in the spirit of a French Provençal cuisine. I have a lovely chandelier in the kitchen with black granite tops. But now that the dining room and the rest of the house is white, I really need to update the kitchen...now to convince my husband of the task! I love that fresh look and every kitchen you share here is DIVINE! And how lovely that you will be moving into a beach community! BRAVO!

Thank you Leslie for coming to visit my post. You surely have an eye for beauty! Anita

Unknown said...

Leslie dear-I love all of these kitchen ideas. What fun to look towards a new and fresh adventure. I know it's scary too-but exciting. I just know your house will sell very shortly. It's so charming. Beach life here you come! Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. Looking towards a fabulous 2014...and just remember-#it's enough!
xx, Heather

20 North Ora said...

These kitchens are all just awesome. I love white cabinets too! Thanks for giving us all of this inspiration!

Judy

Finn said...

With out doubt, I will visit this site again. i was looking the same but there was not any proper resource. I wanted to thank you for this great read!

https://www.urbansales.co.nz/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...