Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2014

why you should watch Fixer Upper

 

fixerupper-apr14

Whenever I need an injection of happy vibes I click on this show….

Fixer Upper on HGTV.

Do you already know about it?

new show2

Joanna’s kitchen

Because it’s an inspirational little gem and its popularity is quickly sweeping through blogland.

If you want an uber-talented designer’s introduction to this show you have to read this Cote de Texas post by Joni. It’s filled with great photos and her wonderful commentary that makes me sigh and wish I could afford to hire her if she lived in Huntington Beach.

Whatever Joni said?  Ditto. That’s what I think.

But here’s my quirky, non-designer view of why you should watch this show.

When it comes to TV shows it’s the backstory that always intrigues me. The dynamics between the people and the likability of who I’m watching on the screen

(which is why I would rather jump off a bridge than watch any show that has the words

The Housewives of.. blah blah blah…. in the title).

And this explains why I faithfully record Fixer Upper every week…

chip_and_joanna_gaines

…it’s because of this cute little couple.

This is Joanna and Chip Gaines, the decorating/renovation team

behind Fixer Upper.

She’s an exotic beauty who loves rustic shiplap on walls and lots of white and he is the laid-back-slightly goofy dude who can do anything she asks.

10462794_621964877910716_8371883551270143723_n

And together they have this adorable little family that they’re raising on their renovated Waco, Texas ranch with motherless calves and puppies and cats and goats that Chip keeps bringing home to the delight of his four shiny-eyed kids.

Chips likes to rescue animals which makes him Mr. Dream Man in my book.

fixer_upper_vets-home-living-room-after

One of my favorite scenes was when they renovated a home for a veterinarian.

(This is the AFTER shot of the living room Mrs. Vet ended up getting,

don’t you just love that lighting fixture?

I’m telling you.. you gotta tune in to see Joanna’s decorating choices)

Anyway, during the renovations, the veterinarian stopped by their ranch to give the new puppies their shots. And afterwards, the camera followed Chip and Joanna’s little boy as he hugged the chubby puppy to his chest and comforted him in the way only a little boy would,

and honestly,

it was too precious.

joanna-coloring-table-e1398105321362

 

Seriously, there’s lots of wonderful DIY inspiration and decorating ideas that I get from this show but I watch it for those genuine moments that you can’t fake

that show a loving Momma and a Daddy who are juggling their kids and their work, and their deadlines and those harried school mornings with an occasional lost (and found) dog.

And I like that they mention this to the audience because it’s refreshingly real and imperfect.

I like that even though Joanna’s renovated homes are beautifully decorated, her own taste is simple and understated and rustic which is aka kid friendly.

kitchen

I like the way they bring their kids onto their work sites and show them what Mom and Dad are working on..because it such a nice reminder to keep our priorities in order

even in the middle of our most engrossing design project.

Yep, I think that’s the part of the show that has hooked me.

tumblr_n6loy4h2Ha1qjm9bpo1_500

It’s the little old family piece

that comes along with all Joanna and Chip’s creative transformations.

But tell me what you think.

Have you seen this show yet?

xo

Leslie

 

I’m linking this post to:

http://www.frenchcountrycottage.net/2014/07/feathered-nest-friday_17.html?

 

 

 

xo

Leslie

33 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never seen this show, I don't think we have it here...but I love a house renovation programme & this sounds like a great one! Love the rooms you have shown above....wow!!

Interesting too to see a husband & wife working together, I can't think of an equivalent show over here.

Thank you so much for your comment at my blog this morning, it's always lovely to hear from you :) My new kitchen seems a long way off but I'm still enjoying dreaming about it...when I'm not tearing my hair out that is, LOL!!

I am loving following along your moving house adventures...I've been thinking about you & can't wait to see what happens next...fingers crossed that the right house is yours very soon.

Best wishes
Simone Xx

AntiqueChase said...

I LOVEEEE this show! Even my husband who hates decorating renovation shows LOVES it!!

Best show Ever!
Marcy :)

Custom Comforts said...

I watch this program and have seen every episode several times. I love it too, and for all the reasons you mentioned. It is great and shows the realities of trying to juggle a family and success. So glad TV has finally given us a couple who is real and can keep their priorities straight.
Cindy

Art and Sand said...

We don't have cable - only have a TV because the kids bought dad one for his birthday. They wanted to watch TV when they visit.

I wonder if I can watch the show on Hulu Plus? It looks like something I would enjoy. I do like her style.

Calypso In The Country said...

I just started watching it and love it!
-Shelley

cindy hattersley design said...

I have got to tune in! I read Joni's post and completely forgot about it...I am off to tape it!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie - I love this show and it's so grounded. It is especially sweet when they involve their kids in projects that are being done for their clients. Bringing in qualities of sharing and giving. Thoughtful and smart. Even hubs has watched at times and he enjoys it too. And that says a whole lot about the realist values that this show delivers. Patty/NS

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Oh, yeah... What YOU said!

Unknown said...

This has quickly become my favourite show on TV!!!! Joanna is so talented with a vision for potential I've not often seen. And Chip - what can you say about a man who can wield a hammer so solidly and love a woman so openly. I just wish it was on more often!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Why yes, I have seen this show - every episode at least 3 times. The styling draws me in like a magnet. I told my husband I wanted to move to Waco so they could do our house.

zooperson said...

thanks for writing about this show. You described it beautifully. I watch it and re-watch because the work is excellent and they are genuine, fun people to be around.

Carla from The River said...

We do not have cable. I will check to see if Amazon Prime has it. :-)
It sounds like a great program. I like the idea of a husband and wife team and the kids too.
Good Stuff!!

Leslie said...

I agree Leslie;) they are a like-able couple and the kids are so cute!! What a great photo with them wearing cowboy hats and hanging on the fence. A home has to be comfy.. a approachable. I think my new place will be a bit ore contemporary than in the past but approachable none-the-less (I will have a wine barrel with covered glass in the corner of my family room:) I hope you are doing well and settling in. I'm knee deep and sharing my mornings with my construction crew .. ha! I am not kidding!! ;) I do hope this continues to move through the phases and inspections smoothly and that we will be seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.

Take Care,
Leslie

Anonymous said...

Just watched my first Fixer Upper last night and it happened to be the one you mentioned with the Veterinarian! Really enjoyed it.... I have them all set on the DVR! Happy Weekend!

Karen said...

Leslie,
I only heard about this show as a result of Cote de Texas. We've recorded every episode and because Mr. B. likes it too, we've agreed to keep the reruns for those days you just want an infusion of happy. I love Joanna and Chips relationship and their darling kids. It's so much fun. They are amazing in their transformation of some really old, crummy homes.
I keep reruns of Modern Family for the same reason. :-)
Karen

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Leslie, I can't believe I haven't seen this show. I'll be looking for it now though. Have a wonderful weekend.
xx,
Sherry

Unknown said...

Great show! Cute couple too! Wish she would come decorate my house :)

Kathy Olson said...

I was hooked after one episode. I love the way they display their love for each other and their kids. It doesn't hurt that I love the "afters" of their home projects either. I like Joanna's style.

Love, love the show. It's my favorite!

Gypsy Heart said...

I absolutely LOVE this show! Of course, it doesn't hurt that they're in Texas too ~ and not far from me. :) I love the "realness" and the family values that are obvious. I so wish I had the $$$ just to have her come in and advise me a bit.

I've really missed you! Finally have a computer and an internet connection that is working! It's been a very frustrating time.

Hope that things are going well re: your move. Can't wait to catch up!

xo
Pat

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is my favorite HGTV show...I love everything about it. I've watched each episode several times, because I see something new every time. They are the one couple I could allow to work in my home...and KNOW I would be happy when they are finished (and that is saying a lot).

Tamera Beardsley said...

Well my dear … you certainly have me convinced … I will be searching for this one!

michele said...

mad crush on the gaines couple! yes! both of them just have me wrapped around their fingers. i have made my husband watch with me, and i cannot get enough of their skill/talent/charisma.

love to you.

michele

Elizabeth@pineconesandacorns said...

Leslie, I have not seen this show! Now I must look out for it because it looks wonderful!

I hope all is going well with the move! Thinking of you and hoping all is well.

Good luck, have a great week!

Elizabeth

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

I love, love this show! Such a talented couple. I live in Texas, but a long way from Waco. Still, it's great to see a show that's based in Texas and not some coast, if you get my drift.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

YAY...you reminded me that I am recording the show!

Sheepskinsandfairylights said...

Checking out if I can get this in UK, looks so good! Thank you xx

Connie said...

Oh I am delighted to have found your lovely blog. I love before and afters and fixer-uppers. I'd better because we just bought one this spring. A true fixer-upper . . . but it is just outside of town with a little over an acre of land. We are loving having the room to grow a garden and to have our own creative spaces. I'll be back visiting and getting ideas.
This is a super cool blog.
Your newest follower and blogging sister,
Connie :)

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Oh I hear ya...I love this show too and for the same reasons. I think they are both so "real", unpretentious and full of wonderful ideas and vision. It is a great show, I just hope it doesn't get cancelled in place of Housewives of Waco...or something or other. I have gotten so turned off of TV that I find myself watching less and less. That is not a bad thing but shows like this are such a treat.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh my goodness, I just love this show! It feels real and genuine. So refreshing! I hope HGTV is paying attention. Everyone is actually nice to each other - none of that staged drama. Chip and Joanna are adorable together. And Joanna can come decorate my house from top to bottom - absolutely love her style!

annie@mostlovelythings said...

I just watched for the first time yesterday...loved it!

Lottie said...

Because of this post, I set the DVR and taped a couple of shows. I watched one this morning and absolutely LOVE it! Thanks for the heads up!

Pitter and Glink said...

I LOVE Fixer Upper!!! I want to move to Waco so that I can be BFFs with Jo Jo! ;)

DD's Cottage said...

I have watched every episode and love the show!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...