Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

my window box centerpiece: how to

DSC_0375 (3)use

After my lastdining room post I got a lot of questions about my centerpiece.

I had been so excited when I stumbled on this old window box and I immediately filled it up with some pretty flowers and candles which a lot of you liked. Today I thought I’d show you how easy it was. There are so many creative ways to make a centerpiece if you have a wood piece like this but this is what I used:

  • grocery store bouquet from Trader Joes
  • berries from my garden
  • four pillar candles I already had
  • jars for my flowers
  • three pots of succulents (I only use real)
  • green moss
  • crumpled newspaper

 

DSC_0384use

In case you’re one of those creative folks who might want to make your own box, I just measured mine and it’s three feet long and eight inches wide with an inside width of  5 1/4 inches. It’s 6 1/4 inches tall.

DSC_0392use

I began by putting in my four candles and three pots of succulents. And I started crumpling up newspaper.

DSC_0370 (3)use

Before I began I also pulled out my jars and decided which ones would fit into the space best.

I only used two mason jars and three of the skinny neck jars for the flowers. The skinny neck jars were originally Starbucks six packs sold in the grocery store.

I used them HERE first.

DSC_0411 (2)use

If you use fresh flowers a lot you probably already do this instinctively.

But I thought I’d show you how to arrange the flowers in the jars. For this project it was important to have flowers near the rim of the jar to camouflage it once it was in the box. After you cut your stems you need to step back and look at proportion. You want your flowers to blend in size. (Classic flower arrangements have the tallest flowers in the center and a gradual decrease in flower size).

I usually keep trimming and rearranging until it looks right. But for this project I wanted a casual look so I didn’t spend too much time on the flowers.

DSC_0371 (3)use

Adding filler flowers adds textural interest. I just used what was included in the bouquet and I added succulents, a personal favorite of mine.

DSC_0396

Can you see how I used the paper?

DSC_0376 (3)use

I went outside and cut some berries off a few bushes. And draped the berries from the jars. And I used the bright green moss to fill in all the open spaces.

DSC_0444use

I love green moss, in fact it’s weird how much I love green moss. It’s one of those itty-bitty gifts from nature that always looks so cheery. I also love this authentic white, chipped paint finish…

(because I didn’t have to make it… yayyy!)

DSC_0413use

DSC_0390 (2)use

 

DSC_0434use

DSC_0459 (2)use

DSC_0462use

Well, I hope this little post inspires you to make your own centerpiece. I’d love to know if you do. Remember, it’s all about creating. Being in the moment and enjoying yourself.

Whatever you end up making will be special because you did it.

enjoy your weekend!

xoxo

Leslie

I’m linking up this post with these friends:

http://www.commonground-do.com/2013/09/be-inspired-155-hurray-for-september.html?http://frenchcountrycottage.blogspot.com/2013/09/feathered-nest-friday.html?

 

23 comments:

20 North Ora said...

Love your beautiful centerpiece and that old chippy box!

I am your newest follower.

Judy

Debra@CommonGround said...

oh I love this, Leslie! the chippy white paint is perfection!!

ChiPPy-SHaBBy said...

OMG!*!*! "Just KiLLeR" Table Centerpiece!!! LoVe the ChiPPy-WHiTe Planter Box and Berries most of all!*!*!
BeSt!*!*!
Jeanine Burkhardt

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Lovely!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love that your centerpiece looks so natural and organic - just perfect!

Art and Sand said...

Okay, I am going to try it.

I have a yellow box and I am making a new tablecloth tomorrow. Now I just need to visit TJs tomorrow.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This really is so gorgeous, Leslie...and I can just imagine things you will do with it all year round...

Linda @ DesignInMyView said...

A great tutorial - short, sweet and detailed for us all to practice.
Cheers!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Thanks, Leslie. This is such a pretty arrangement. Looks like it came out of a magazine!

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Oh Leslie I love it. I would not have thought to do this but it turned out so beautifully. I am really glad that you did not go with a pumpkin arrangement. The white is so refreshing and appropriate for this time. When you do change it up with gourds etc., it will look fantastic! So many possibilities.

Unknown said...

LOVELY!!! I'm a new follower of your blog. Can't wait to see more of your ideas.

Sew a Fine Seam said...

It's so beautiful! Love it so much! And I really like the pop of fun the animal print shades give your dining room for fall!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

thanks for the box measurement! the first thing I thought whe I saw it, was: I wonder how big is it? ...now I can make my own when I find some old chippy painted wood

Leslie said...

Your center piece is beautiful Leslie! The patina along with the succulents and flowers is such a pretty combination. Enjoy your day!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

FABULOUS. Don't you just love the chippy white? I am loving these boxes for centerpieces these days, and I just saw another one on Linda Primmer's blog. Her husband made it for her! But I like this because it is a window box, and why not bring in one of my white shabby window boxes in from the garden when the weather cools down? Fabulous idea, Leslie!

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I LOVE teaching the older kids and sharing the passion for precision in grammar for effective communication!

Have a lovely day and enjoy your décor! Anita

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

This is absolutely stunning! Pinning this, hope you are well.
XI
kristin

AntiqueChase said...

Great tutorial! Love this!!

Lori said...

How come you make things look so easy! This is gorgeous Leslie. xo

Pam Kessler said...

I adore the chippiness of your window box. Awesome find. Great tutorial and how to put it all together.

Anonymous said...

Glad I didn't miss this! My dining room table is empty as I write but not for long! Thank you for the inspiration!! I love white so much and this is just gorgeous.

Patty Rumaker said...

Gorgeous! And it is stunning when lit.
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Monica said...

This is so beautiful. Your eye for design (in all forms) is truly spectacular. I've sent my youngest to pre-school and have more free time. You have inspired me!

Stacey said...

Well that just couldn't be any prettier!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...