Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Savor: my Monday muse word

savor

This past weekend Mr. Moss and I did something we never do: on a whim, we threw our bags into the car and headed for an impromptu overnight stay in San Francisco for some quality couple time. We checked into our hotel and like giddy teenagers, we headed out into the sunny, ocean-air with absolutely nothing planned.

1263635916322731via looboosandshoes

We walked and shopped and held hands and simply hung out. And the best part, was that I didn’t worry (well, maybe a little) about the boys. Although, it does help that our ‘boys’ happen to be six-foot guys now, with busy lives of their own, but this is still new to us, this sudden realization of being a couple again.

And the glimpse of a new horizon that lies ahead where these kinds of romantic trips are possible.

by laura d'art for kinfolkgoogleimage

We discovered a wine bar next to Market street, where we sat and talked about the Buddha’s meaning of impermanence, and pondered the history of the city, the idea of moving, and ate truffle French fries. And when we walked back out into the sun, my cell phone rang and it was Patrick excitedly telling us that he and his college room-mates had found a new place to live for the next school year. So I handed the phone to his Dad, for a brief discussion of finances. And a few minutes later, Michael called to tell us he was going to see a movie with friends, and yes, Mom, Stella, (our mischievous puppy), was fine.

And I felt my old-motherly-worry-wart self being soothed. And this feeling felt luxurious.

So that all of a sudden, I could hear every word that Mr. Moss spoke, in the same the way that you hear somebody in the middle of a hushed chapel. Only instead of somber words, I heard my own laughter, because Mr. Moss happens to be the funniest man that I know.

And I savored this happy moment.

tumblr_lxruq6LYMj1qdvn4ro1_500via dustjacketattic

Not because we are any perfect couple, God knows that doesn’t exist. But after twenty-five years together, our imperfections seem like a leathery, well constructed shoe. And those worn scuff marks that have come about from difficult times and immaturity, and arguments have only added to the value of our years together as a couple.

277464027012695065_7kSaHoc5_cwhatsnottolovevia whatsnottolove

And what’s truly astonishing—if you think about it-- is that when there’s no one else around, and no kid worries, or loud TV, or work stresses, or household bills to discuss, I realize that my husband is still THE person that I want to hang out with, on a day of glorious freedom in San Francisco. And his perspective is still the one I want to explore after a whirl-wind day of living, because his opinions still intrigue me and comfort me.

Yes, during this weekend I had many small moments to savor.

56154326573962538_2OGb0rxz_callthingstylishtumblr callthingsstylish.tumblr

We had wonderful food.

271834527477807500_cCINvppE_cvia dustjacketattic

And I had time to read my book in the car. And catch up on small, chit-chat with Jim.

tumblr_lvex8d1r3B1qmqz9ho1_1280tinywhitedaisiesvia tinywhitedaisies

I felt lucky that the kids were safe and happily busy.

196821446185141490_I6xer3QM_cmyfotologtumblrvia myfotologtumblr

And that I had quiet moments to reflect and be grateful for everything I have.

237776055296535171_1JFw1HS9_ctumblr.com

But the interesting thing about this overnight trip was that I didn’t actually want to go. No, I was thinking of all the things that I needed to get done, and I knew that the weekend presented a productive chunk of time to finish some work that we both had, but I listened to Mr. Moss.

And I heard his need for some relaxation. So I went along with my classic resigned look and my pouty, protruding lower lip, and I’m so glad I did. Because all we really have are moments, precious moments.

127156389448750835_tgnmTWO1_cwomantakenbythewindtumblrvia womantakenbythewindtumblr.com

 

So tell me, which small moments did you savor this weekend?

 Leslie

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...