Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

How to make a moss centerpiece…

DSC_0524-copy_thumb5

Hi everyone! Well, today it was 104 degrees here in the River City, but I still managed to get over to the store for a bag of moss for my little DIY project. Are you a fan of moss?

Every since I did the post, It’s all in the details: garden parties, I’ve been wanting to try to copy the moss centerpiece in it. Click on the title if you want to see what it looks like.

But I really like mine. Now that it’s finished, I think it would be perfect on a table set for an outdoor dinner party, don’t you think? Plus, it’s so simple.

DSC_0501_thumb12

First, I purchased a moss table runner at Michael’s Crafts store with my 40% off coupon. (Gotta love those weekly coupons)…

DSC_0503_thumb8

It’s a little stiff when you remove it from the bag and begin to unroll it.

DSC_0505_thumb4

I spread it out and laid a glass vase on top. Then I used this green tape to mark the lines where I would cut the moss. I needed a piece that would wrap snugly around the vase. (nope, markers don’t work on moss)

DSC_0506_thumb3

I grabbed whatever scissors I had on hand. The sharper the better so the moss stays intact.

DSC_0507_thumb2

Once it was cut, I stood the vase up. I tried testing a piece of poster tape, to see if it would hold the moss together, but it wasn’t even close. So I tried option two.

DSC_0511_thumb5

I threaded this thin fish line on a needle and I simply stitched the edges together. Just a few big stitches, nothing fancy.

DSC_0508_thumb5

In this photo, the vase is lying flat on the table while I go back and forth. Can you see the needle sticking out?

DSC_0509_thumb2

When I got to the bottom, I made a few knots and cut.

DSC_0510_thumb5

I stood the vase up. Then I covered the line of stitches with pieces of moss that had fallen off while I worked. I just pressed the moss on, and it tended to stay there.

DSC_0512-copy_thumb7

Here it is with fresh flowers in the vase. As you can see, I added a ribbon to support the moss along with a cardstock flower from my scrapbook box, but you could also use a vintage brooch or pretty buttons instead.

Well, what do you think? I hope I inspired you to try something new or different today, maybe with moss, because it really is a lovely color of green.

I’m linking up with Savvy Southern Style.

Thanks for visiting,

xoxo

Leslie

 

 

3 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That is very pretty. I love using moss for arrangements. Thanks for sharing at wow.

the poor sophisticate said...

Thank you so much for stopping by! I l;ove your blog too and am thrilled to be your newest follower!
be blessed and live beautifully!
-Molly
thepoorsophisticate.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Very creative and cute! Inspired? Yes! Thanks so much for stopping by Curious Wisdom:)
Loressa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...