Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Blue and white stripes on a painter’s drop cloth: How to

DSC_0466 copy

I love stripes, don’t you? Especially big, bold stripes like the ones I painted on this drop cloth.

This weekend I decided to transform a simple painter’s drop cloth into a bold, colorful table covering that I could use later for a garden party. I decided that a midnight blue  would contrast nicely with the light colored canvas, and would be such a crisp, summer look. So this is what I used.

DSC_0444

  • I purchased a 9 X 12 drop cloth from Home Depot.
  • Frog tape (trust me, it’s a MUST if you want clean stripes)
  • small roller
  • flat latex paint (I started with a quart, but I needed another one)

DSC_0442

Before you begin painting you should know that paint will seep through the drop cloth. Make sure to put it on a protective covering. (Yep, I learned this the hard way)

DSC_0445

I decided on eight inch stripes. So I measured the eight inches and used a blue pencil to mark the spot. I did this four or five times for each line. I cut one piece of frog tape that was long enough to cover the length of the canvas. Because I was in a hurry, I chose not to connect the blue marks and make a straight line. Instead, I just started on one side of the canvas and laid the tape down on the blue marks. This is easier with two people. One person keeps the tape taut, and the other person places the tape down, making sure it’s a straight line. Sorry if I’m over-explaining.

DSC_0446

Here’s what it looked like when I was finished measuring and placing the tape down.

DSC_0448

Oh boy. This is when I started to wonder if I was going to have enough paint. Of course I neglected to consider that a painters drop cloth would be highly absorbent, which means that the paint didn’t go as far as I planned. Oh well, another trip to Home Depot.

DSC_0450

Here is the completed canvas. In the afternoon heat, it dried quickly. Once the paint dries, you simply pull the frog tape up.

DSC_0451

See what I mean about this tape? If you push down on the edges of the tape prior to rolling on your paint, the result will be painted edges that are nice and clean when you remove the tape.

DSC_0481copy

I didn’t plan it this way, but the blue and white is perfect for the fourth of July holiday. I threw up some white tissue balls and added some stemware, a few shells, plants and flags for fun.

DSC_0494copy

DSC_0499 (2)copy

DSC_0498

DSC_0474copy

DSC_0476 (2)

Well, what do you think? Not bad for a painter’s drop cloth huh?

If you’re planning your own outdoor party soon and you’re looking for more ideas, you can see my table decor and menu for My Garden Themed Dinner Party HERE.

Or you can visit my Pinterest Garden Party Board to see some lovely pictures.

I’m linking this post up to Savvy Southern Style.

In the meantime, I hope you all have a safe and wonderful holiday with your loved ones!!

 

Thanks for stopping by,

Leslie

 

9 comments:

thistlewoodfarm said...

Happy Fourth to you! I love this project. Are the inside stripes 8" as well? This is such a great project.

blessings,
karianne

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Leslie, I am so happy you visited me so I could find your lovely blog. What a great project and the drop cloth turned out wonderful. Now following!

The Style Sisters said...

This is awesome!! What a fabulous idea to paint the stripes on the drop cloth!! You are giving me some great inspiration! Come link up to Centerpiece Wednesday and share you ideas with us.

Karin

Anonymous said...

I love it, very inviting.
I have joined here and so enjoyed blog hopping this week.
Please visit and join me at msqueenfashionista.com

momto8 said...

looks gorgeous..what a nice touch!

Unknown said...

OH I am madly in love with this project!!! And is it weird that I kinda like it with the neon green stripes too? kooky, I know. =)

Aloha,
Stopping by to say "HI" from The ALOHA Friday HOP!!! Thanks so much for sharing your aloha with us, it is so sweet to have you in the mix.

We're peeking in a New Zealand Mama's beach bag and giving away over $100 in Beach Beauty Awesomeness today-- you know, if you're feeling lucky. =)

Happy Weekend,
Nicole
localsugarhawaii.com

Brooke Arellano said...

That looks AMAZING!! That is SO creative! The fourth of july set up is breath taking! Stopping by from the blog hop! Am now a new follower:) Would love if you could follow me back!

http://crazy-mama-drama.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crazy-Mama-Drama/259491484156846

https://twitter.com/LoveMyMamaDrama

Unknown said...

great idea! i would love to do a chevron but fear my zigs and zags may be allll over the place!

Christi said...

i so want this exact one. i am going out this weekend and buying everything for this. my wedding in 8/25 and out colors are navy and pink, more navy the pink. i want something creative for the snack table and the picture table. i think instead of renting those boring cloth table clothes i am going to just do this and then i have them to use in the future. thanks for the idea.

oh i am a new follower from the friday blog hop.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...