Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

how a pile of old wood became a beautiful rustic table

 

OJAIDI~1

Life’s been so busy lately I haven’t had time to update you on all my projects. Here’s one post I’m so happy to share with you.

Let’s see… it all started with this photo from The Polished Pebble. Kelley’s gorgeous home was recently featured in Country Living and when I saw this photo of her outdoor area it really got me thinking. Does this happen to you too?

You see a photo that you just can’t get out of your head?

There was something I just loved about this mix of white weathered wood and wicker, and I thought this would be a perfect table for my patio, but of course I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on it.

So I made a mental note to be on the look-out for an old table I could transform.

Mom's iPhone Transfer 6-27-2013 484

And a week later, at a family birthday celebration I was playing volleyball in my brother’s backyard and look what I spotted off in the distance.

That’s right. A pile of junky looking wood.

The next day I asked my Dad about it.

“That old pile of wood? Oh that’s been sittin’ there for years, leftover from Mike’s remodel…”

Mom's iPhone Transfer 6-27-2013 487

Lucky for me, my brother was only too happy to let me pick through the wood pile and with my Dad’s help, we began to lay out some pieces on the lawn for my inspection. At first, my cute Dad kept pulling out the cleanest looking wood from the bottom of the heap.

I had to remind him I was only interested in the really old looking pieces, the wood that had been exposed to the sun for years.

Mom's iPhone Transfer 6-27-2013 483use

Here’s a close up photo of the wood I chose.

See the knots and grooves and the perfect shade of weathered gray? 

Aw… I love-love-love-it!

DSC_0068 (3)use

I spent $42.00 at Home Depot to buy the additional wood for the table frame. And then my amazing Dad built this base for me.

DSC_0069 (2)copy

My only request was that it be a very simple construction. Nothing fancy, Dad.

And of course, he shakes his head when I say things like this. He still doesn’t completely ‘get’ my taste for things that look so old, but he’s such a good sport.

 

DSC_0070 (3)

DSC_0071

 

DSC_0080 (3)

When you turn the table over this is the hardware we used.

DSC_0075 (2)use

This is a close-up of the old wood on top and new wood used for the table frame.

The more I looked at the gray wood tabletop, the more I liked the color.

DSC_0079use

So instead of painting it white as originally planned, I decided to simply even out the dark spots by using light strokes of watered down chalk paint.

DSC_0205

Here’s a close up of the finished table top. I was careful to keep the soft gray undertones.

 

DSC_0085 (2)

For the table base I decided to use this home made chalk paint recipe that I originally got from Sharon. (If you ever need to be inspired to paint, you have to visit her blog, she amazes me with all her projects.)

DSC_0088 (2)

For the table base this is what I did:  I filled a container with water and began by dry brushing white paint and adding water to make a light base. I let this layer dry, then I dry brushed more white paint on top, just playing around with it until I got the look I liked.

DSC_0100 (3)use

in the middle of painting…

 

DSC_0169use

…and the finished tabletop,

DSC_0181use

These are the four wicker chairs I have to go with this table…

 

DSC_0144use

And these are my two wood chairs. Remember my inspiration photo? There were the two apple green chairs at the end of the table? 

DSC_0101use

Well I decided to go with white instead, and see how I like the look. These were inexpensive thrift store finds so I thought what-the-heck. Why not use them outside if I need them?

DSC_0105use

Here’s a preview of my outdoor dining set so far….more photos are coming.

to be continued…

How is your summer going?

I sure hope you’re doing things that make you happy.

xoxo

Leslie

I’m linking up with these lovely friends:

 

29 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

I LOVE love love this, Leslie! can I borrow you dad?

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Love the table, Leslie! Great job by your dad.

Looks wonderful on your patio along with the wicker chairs around it.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh this is going to be totally amazing when you get done. Love it so far. Hugs, marty

Cathi said...

Very nice, Leslie and exactly my taste too! Can you send your dad down here to my place? Haha. I used to do alot of woodwork back in my old life as I sold alot of handmade items at craft fairs but I don't have my tools anymore. Csnt wait to see more photos! xxoo

Sew a Fine Seam said...

very very cool! Love tables made out of old wood. Hmmm... I happen to have a pile of old wood that I want turned into something. Think I'll pin this and see what hubby says :)

Jeanette@Creating a Life Studio said...

Wow, this is so beautiful! I had a funny similar experience recently when I asked a friend if I could have some very rustic "junk" boards I had seen on their property. They said sure, but then brought me boards that looked like new lumber! haha. Your dad sounds like a wonderful guy :) Just love your table!

Jeanette

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love EVERYTHING about this beautiful table, Leslie...the old wood, the wood and wicker chairs...and especially that you created it with your father! Wonderful!

Irene said...

You are so fearless. I admire you!

Leslie said...

Leslie! This is fantastic! The table looks wonderful and I like the chairs along side it. Good for you for recycling the wood pile and seeing the potential for something really lovely there:) Sounds like you are having a perfectly wonderful summer so far!

xxleslie

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Ahhhh, Leslie how neat! I'm the same way a pic or thought gets in my head and I can't let it go! It's going to be fabulous! I have a table similar and I've been thinking about bringing it in the diningroom:)

Happy belated anniversary to you too! Summer has been very busy for me too!

Kathy Olson said...

I LOVE the table and LOVE those wicker chairs! You did a great job!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Oh sooo nice!!!
Blessings,
Cindy

Lori said...

Wow ~ that is a solid piece and I love how it turned out!! Can't wait to see how you finish off the seat cushions on those chairs. Happy weekend Leslie xo

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Wow Leslie, that is one absolutely gorgeous table! And I love the mix of chairs too! What a beautiful outdoor dining spot you have created. I know you will enjoy it for many years to come. I can so envision the lovely meals and delightful conversation and laughter that will happen here! ... And thank you for the kind words my friend!

Pitter and Glink said...

This is soooo beautiful! I can't wait to see the entire set complete! And how awesome is it that your dad built it for you?! :)

Unknown said...

Great vision, Leslie. It's really come together beautifully. What are you putting on the seats as covers?

Now where's the wine so we can enjoy this table?

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

that is a great looking table. I really like the 2 kind of chairs you are using with it. I love old wood...especially when it's free :)

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

I love the feel of old grey wood. Back home in Australia my parents have a grey wood jetty that stands over the lake and one of the last things I do each time I go back is walk out along it, under the southern stars.

I love the way you can see things in the midst of everything else. That is true creativity. Xcat

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

What a wonderful dad you have. Love the new table and chairs!!

Jody

Art and Sand said...

Your dad is a gem to build your wonderful table.

We custom ordered (for too much $$$) our dining room table and I was thinking it would look more like a Rachel Ashwell weathered table. Yours is what I had in mind. Mine is finally aging- like me!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

A-m-a-z-i-n-g table!

michele said...

crazy beautiful project, leslie!!! i love your choices, and how gratifying to see it come together from a very humble start! looks like a million bucks to me.

smiles.

michele

Brandy~GreyLaneHome said...

Lucky lucky. Leslie that wood is beautiful. Your dad did an amazing job. I can't wait to see you style it up and share more pretty pics with us.
xoxo

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Oh lovely, both you and your dad have inspired me. I have been looking for a long "farm table" that I could put in our backyard once the new terrace is put in place but had not really thought of making one!! Good on you girl! I love your go ahead and get it done spirit!
I bought a lot of tools last year so time to put them to use! You are pure inspiration...as always.

Kathy said...

Love this, Leslie - I so want a large table for outdoor dining - love that most of it is recycled wood and that you worked together with your dad - so special! I am so delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday, Kathy

Megan @ Restoring the Roost said...

Beautiful! I'm hoping to one day make our own wood plan farm table for cheap too. You all did a great job! Looks lovely with the wicker.

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Your table turned out great!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Gorgeous table! I wish my dad could still make wonderful things like that. He now has RA and is unable to work in his shop, so I treasure the things he's made in the past. Your dad sounds a lot like mine. They like to make old things look "new". :)

Rustique Restoration said...

I love the table you built! And you have the cutest blog! Do you know how I can follow you? Thanks! -Jen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...