Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Day 9: October books and the Gone Girl question

 

gonegirl_reeltalk

The other night Mr. Moss and I went out for dinner and a movie.

It’s one of our favorite things to do. We decided on a restaurant right in front of the theater and sat outside on the patio on a glorious, balmy evening.

 

IMG_1025

I had read Gone Girl months ago and had been excited to finally see it with this cast. I’ve been a fan of Rosamund Pike every since Pride and Prejudice, and I thought Ben Affleck was a good choice for Nick.

Have you seen it yet?

Sigh. Don’t worry, I won’t give away any spoilers but I will say that I left the theater feeling disappointed. Just a ho hum reaction.

But don’t mind me, because I seldom feel feel like the movie is as good as the book.

Is it an unfair comparison?

Gone Girl was a page turner and even though there was a yuck factor with the level of pathology between this couple it kept me totally intrigued. I found the dual narrative an interesting way to plant questions in the reader’s mind.

And I may get heckled for this, but the fact is, I didn’t think there was much sexual chemistry between the two stars. The acting was solid, Pike was amazing but they never seemed like a intimate, married couple to me. Didn’t believe the hot library scene one bit, it seemed like two actors ‘acting’ out passion. And come on. Did anyone actually believe that  bedroom scene between Rosamund Pike and Neil Patrick Harris?

Ok. Enough grumbling. Let’s talk about books.

If you loved Gone Girl…

According to Sam Baker, if you loved Gone Girl…these are three more books you should put on your reading list.

untitled

On of the nicest bloggers I know, Sharon of Elizabeth & Co also emailed me and recommended Serena, another book soon-to-be-a movie starring Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawerence …

she said “It reminds me a little of Gone Girl. It's kind of twisted and totally different and unexpected.”

(I’ve already bought my copy)

And HERE are the best books of October according to Good Reads.

Have you read any of these?

I’d love to hear your views.

 

fullbleed_41826

 

Thanks for stopping by on day 9,

xoxo

Leslie

 

 

11 comments:

karen@somewhatquirky said...

I think I will try Serena. And then the Jane Smiley books. I like Jane Smiley. I will see Gone Girl - the movie, but probably won't bother to read the book. I'm still finishing up my re-read of the Outlander series so I have to finish one more book before I can read the new addition to the series and can MOVE ON! I've gotten to where I only read while I am exercising so it takes me a bit to get one finished.

Gypsy Heart said...

I am always interested in great book recommendations so thank you for sharing! I heard that the movie (Gone Girl) was not as good as the book but are they ever?? Glad you had a night out ~ being able to sit outside in the evening is a rarity here. Hopefully, these 90 degree days will leave us soon.

xo
Pat

Karen said...

I confess, I didn't read gone girl. I was late to the party of Goldfinch enthusiasts and so maybe I'll get to it later this year. I love the actors involved in the movie but am happy to be given the heads up on chemistry. I think that can make or break the movie.
I'll check out the recommendations.
Karen

Unknown said...

I've read "Gone Girl" & whilst I think it defines a good read ie, I couldn't put it down, I found it very frustrating! And I hated the ending!! I also thought it was unusual in that I didn't like any of the characters, not a single one.

I can't think of a book where the film has been as good as the book, and although I think "Gone Girl" has been well cast, I don't think I can bring myself to sit through it. A couple of girlfriends saw it last night & thought it was too long.

I haven't read any of the books on the list but I did love "Brooklyn" by Colm Toibin & will add his new book to my list. Thank you for the recommendation.

A movie & dinner sounds good though, hope you are settling into the house :0 Xx

Blondie's Journal said...

I trust your review, Leslie. I was going to hurry and read the book when I realized the movie was at hand. So many bad reviews of the book from friends kept me from reading it. Now, different views of the movie...many not understandable since I didn't read the book. I will definitely look up Serena.

Thanks. And thanks for your visit today!

Jane xx

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

I love the idea of a movie out with dinner ... but since we only have movies that are dubbed in French it just never happens. I can't stand dubbing. I usually have to wait until movies hit iTunes.
Serena sounds like a book that I should pick up. I rarely feel satisfied with the movie but I do think that is normal given the lengths that our imaginations go to in creating the image from the page. The movie sometimes feels like a shallow representation of all that.

Carla from The River said...

I am reading Paris Letters right now. It is fun :-)
Thank you for review.

Art and Sand said...

I loved the book, Gone Girl, and have been waiting for it to be released. Our neighbor was one of the cameramen on the film and he said it was going to be great.

We were going to see it on our Monday date night, $5 for seniors, but our daughter talked us out of it. She and her boyfriend saw it on Friday night and he hated it - vehemently. KC convinced Steve that he really would not like it.

I just started reading Edge of Eternity, book 3 in Ken Follet's Millenium series. So far, I am not as impressed as I was with books 1 & 2.

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

I too read Gone Girl and have decided not to see the film (as the films are rarely ever as good as the book). I've also heard mixed reviews about it, so I don't think I will bother. The book 'Her' I have seen recommended in a few places and is certainly on my list to read.
Loved this post as I love reading about book recommendations x

Leslie said...

Hi Leslie, I have been reading the Goldfinch and also have The Big Little Lies on my nite stand. Goldfinch is good but taking me forever to get through. I am one of the few that didn't read Gone Girl. My girlfriend saw the movie and said it I should read the book before seeing it. I'm going to make a not of the books on the list here. When the house gets finished I should have more time to ready;) Have a nice weekend and I hope all is well on the home front!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Kevin and I love going out for dinner and a movie - our favorite date night! Haven't made it to Gone Girl yet, soon I hope. And I can't wait to hear what you think of Serena. I just thought about those characters again today. And a book that keeps you thinking is a good one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...