Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

little changes matter

DSC_0522copy

This is my newer, lighter dining room following my late night paint party. Just me and my date, Mr.Paint Roller saying farewell to my brownish looking taupe wall.

DSC_0028copy

This was my wall color until a few days ago. There was nothing wrong with it but I had this gallon of white paint left over from my entry way…

DSC_0520copy

and I had these old shutters in the garage that needed some work and someplace to go

so I grabbed some sandpaper and distressed them a little more…

 

DSC_0530copy

…and decided to put them next to my French turquoise sideboard with its delicate claw feet.

And I thought creamy white walls would look the best.

I guess I was in the mood for a little change. And it’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do.

So now that my painting is done, I can start adding some simple decorations. Last year I had a black and red accents and I decorated my chandelier.

DSC_1059copy

But this year I’m not sure. I seem to be craving less color. I’ll have to wait and see.

DSC_0513copy

I did bring my wooden angels into this room and placed them over the mirror with some fresh greenery.

DSC_0534copy

And I placed a vintage Santa next to a lantern filled with sepia colored music sheets that I rolled into scrolls. I saw this at Grey Lane Home and I loved this idea.

DSC_0509

Brandy had scrolls inside the bottom of a glass vase as a filler. She also gave me the idea of hanging a vintage key from a ribbon. She’s such a clever girl, isn’t she? I think we all get inspiration from each other and it’s such a nice way of spreading creativity. 

DSC_0510copy

I also brought out my Grandma’s brooch and put it inside the nest. I remember how insistent she was that I pick out some of her jewelry during one of my last visits to her. She had brought out a tattered silk box and my Mom had been there too, to help Grandma with her hearing and we all sat together, three generations just talking and looking through her boxes.

At first I felt funny. All those years while I was growing up, Grandma had been such a lover of shopping. In fact, she introduced me to antique stores and flea markets when I was a little girl and so it seemed sad. I didn’t want to take anything because it would have been an acknowledgement of something I didn’t want to face. But it made her so happy when I agreed to take two of her brooches.

I think she’d get a kick out of how I’m displaying it.

DSC_0523copy

Before the sun went down and prevented more photos, I managed to get some fresh garland over the window.

DSC_0535copy

and my Dad helped me hang a very heavy berry wreath over my chalkboard. (C  stands for Create except during Christmas)...

DSC_0503copy

and I filled some terra cotta pots with candles and moss. An idea I got from moglio.tumblr.

I’m trying to enjoy the decorating even if it means going slower this year. Tonight we’re finally headed out to get our tree. It’s still feels funny without Patrick with us, but as Mr. Moss likes to say, the only thing we can depend on in Life… is change.

No, I answer back, I don’t like Change!

(except when it comes to painting)

I sure love that guy. He keeps me sane.

210543351300153274_uq1wSnz4_c

tassels.tumblr.com

What’s on your mind today?

xoxo

Leslie

im linking up here:

 

10 comments:

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Leslie, I just LOVE LOVE LOVE your dining room! What fabulous changes!!!! Swoon! Decking it out for Christmas makes it look even more magical! Thank you so much for joining TUTORIALS TIPS AND TIDBITS with your lovely Christmas dining room!

Vanessa said...

Hi, Leslie

I love the dining room. What a difference when you changed the color. The shutters, love! The brooch on the bird's nest lovely! I love the small pots with the candle, Lovely! Well, let's just say I love it all! : ) You inspired me. Thanks for sharing.

Vanessa

Jeannie and Linda said...

Leslie, what a difference a little paint can make. Your room was lovely before, but the white makes everything pop. Love it. Found you through TT&T. Have a great day. Jeannie of thefrenchhensnest.com

Jeannie and Linda said...

Leslie, we are your newest members, please visit us at thefrenchhensnest.com. Jeannie

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Your dining roon is just beautiful! I love the color change and the little touches like your Grandma's brooch just make this room sing! I just just picture a lovely dinner here, filled with love and laughter!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

looks great, the white walls really change the feel of the room!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

It's looking very lovely, Leslie!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Leslie I love the lighter and brighter look in your dining room and I LOVE LOVE those shutters!!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Leslie, Wow, your dining room looks gorgeous! Love the new color and the shutters are wonderful. Thank you for linking to the Open House party.

AntiqueChase said...

New follower here from Sherry's blog. Come by and say hi!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...