Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Choosing to focus on the positive…

 

144678206750956079_zM6fiVyF_clawsofmodernman

Last night I got every parent’s scariest text message. Here’s a screen shot of what I saw as I was getting ready to go out for the evening.

It was a text message from Patrick.

DSC_0699copy

My cell phone

First of all I should tell you that Patrick is fine. A little shaken up, but not physically injured.

And the second thing I’ll share is the little Life lesson I learned in a flash of a moment. Do you mind? Because it seems rather important to slow down and focus on these kinds of jolting moments after they pass, mostly because I never fail to discover some kernel of wisdom left behind in the aftermath.

tumblr_md6dhwa4Cx1ri86b6o1_500_gif

Today I’ve been reminded of how easy it is to take things for granted.

Patrick’s brush with danger last night was really a startling reminder of how precious Life truly is when it’s downright ordinary. When our days are filled with simple details like writing grocery lists and winding ribbon around Christmas garland.

101823641544639109_AWm849Yk_c chrispotheringpinterest

via chrispottering Pinterest

I was reminded that Life is actually an incredulous joyride when we can go about our day swaddled in the warm, reassuring knowledge that those we love are safe.

I was reminded that feeling strong and healthy and having a job and the ability to pay for medical insurance are fabulous blessings that rain down on most of us everyday, like shiny stardust from the heavens.

92816442290746422_nDEb7zXb_ctassels

via ctassels.tumblr

Only it’s easy to overlook the basic stuff when we keep such a busy pace.

I was reminded how much I love and admire my husband, because he’s my calm and steady rock during unsettling times.

christmas-decorating(7)_large

via countryliving.com

And I was reminded how important it is to choose the positive path whenever you come to a tough fork in the road. I’ve learned that this is crucial. It’s the one thing we can have control over when Life is sending us turbulent winds. We can be determined to focus our eyesight on the positive.

This is what we did last night when we got ready for bed. After the last long-distance phone call was over, Mr. Moss and I both took a deep breath and sat a moment in the quiet room. And we agreed that it could have been so much worse.

236157574180656489_NGuk84Pb_cswede dreams

via swede dreams blogspot

In the end, we were thankful that Patrick wasn’t hurt. That there wasn’t a passenger in the car. That there wasn’t another car involved. That we have good auto insurance. That we’re members of an tow service that will tow his car to a repair shop. That he has an amazing support system of friends who will get him to school during this last week of classes. The list goes on and on without too much thinking.

tumblr_maqoo4iIDp1rhp1h5o1_500

via magoo.tumblr

But it always ends in this.

Patrick is OK.

That’s really all that matters in the end. And everything else fades into inconsequential blurriness.

Today I’ve been reminded that happiness is ultimately a choice. And today our proverbial cup is gloriously full.

143833781820877205_Loa7Jgc4_c

via cashmerelover.com

It seems that Christmas came early at our house. Sigh.

How about you. What’s going on in your world?

 

Blessings,

xoxo

Leslie

I’m linking up here:

http://elizabethandco.blogspot.com/2012/12/be-inspired-features-and-link-party-49.html

 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Phew, I am so glad that your son is safe & unharmed....I imagine that it was a pretty scary time for you though, how awful.

Sometimes a little perspective is a good thing though and I can see from your beautifully written post that you absolutely appreciate that.

Thinking of you XX

Pitter and Glink said...

I'm so glad that your son is okay! I had a recent experience that made me think about these same things. (My experience didn't end happily, but it definitely made me think.)

Unknown said...

Beautiful post Leslie...thank goodness your son is okay...your heartfelt message resonates with me...I am grateful for every day...it's taken me awhile to appreciate the simple things in life...but now I understand they are not only the simple things but the most important.
You write so beautifully...I'm in awe.
Catherine
xx

AntiqueChase said...

that sounds so scary. glad he is okay!! good reminder to slow down and look around at all the goodness.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh Leslie, I am so glad that Patrick is okay. And I wholeheartedly agree - happiness is a choice. I try really hard tolook at the positives and not dwell on the negatives. And I am thankful every single day that my family is safe and well. There is a line in one of my favorite songs that goes, "we're all just one phone call from our knees". And gosh, that is so true. We need to cherish every single moment, including the ones that maybe aren't quite so perfect. ... I know that when you see Patrick, you will hug him a little tighter! And I'm sending a hug your way too, just because!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

So glad he is ok! Stuff like that does tend to make us sit up and notice just what is really important in life huh?!

Vanessa said...

Hi, Leslie

I am so happy Patrick is fine. I feel the same why as you do. Life is precious and we should be grateful for every moments. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs,

Vanessa

Mary Ann Pickett said...

You poor mother...so scary. Thank God he is ok. Your words are uplifting. Best wishes.

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

Very glad your son is fine. These moments are my life's greatest fears and I think it is right to take stock and be grateful. There was a time when I was doing it every night. Best Christmas wishes to you and family xxcatinitaly

Pam Kessler said...

Beautiful post. I am so glad that Patrick is OK.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Leslie, This a beautifully written post and I am glad your son is okay. Take care. xx, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Leslie, so glad that Patrick is okay!

hugs,
Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...