Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

It’s all good. Every wonderfully imperfect moment.

344525440213573167_yUz7oewv_c

Do you know the secret to a beautiful, laughter-filled Christmas?

Here it is. But don’t be shocked because it really does work. I’m learning how to do this.

Breathe. And let it go.

All of your well-intentioned visions for a “perfect” stress-free Christmas morning?  Let it go. Your hopes for a beautifully timed, perfectly cooked prime-rib? Let it go.

A spill-free designer-looking tablescape that stays perfect long enough so you can get your photo? Let it go.

Fascinating conversations with well-rested guests and appreciative kids who are dressed in the Christmas outfits you lovingly selected?

Let it go.

Instead, trade it for real life. Take a big breath and look around and be utterly amazed at what’s right in front of you. Because when you’re caught up trying to make that festive, warm-tingling experience happen?

You’re not really present.

So embrace that impromptu conversation that happens with your teenager. Your neighbor. Your husband. Right when you’re in the middle of something you’re trying-to-get-done.  Stop. Listen. Rejoice in the sharing.

210543351300153274_uq1wSnz4_c

Because in the end, all we have is THIS moment. This one right here. Which is pretty amazing if you think about it. Because this moment offers us the chance to choose our own happiness. To open our eyes and really see things as they are.

This moment offers us the exhilarating power to be grateful for all those tiny, simple Christmas blessings right in front of us

tumblr_mdr13aW2MQ1rbllmfo1_500

…the blessings that come alongside the kitchen sink messes that make me crazy. The sticky counters and dirty dishes that represent the abundance of food.

And that signify that someone has a full, happy stomach.

…the blessings that come along with the long, stressful shopping lines. The lines that take forever to move and remind us of the precious passing of Time. The crowded lines that thankfully slow us down enough to see that real people are waiting on us and that they have families at home, probably waiting for them. And that we have the blessing of not being at work while they are…working.

And that’s the moment we can choose to appreciate where we are and to even spread kindness in the world by caring about the other person. Asking how they’re holding up in these crazy crowds.

…and yes, even the blessings that come along with the grumpy protests about Church service. The ones that remind us that we’re a family of unique people. And that we each have our own spiritual journey we’re on, and someone else’s path may look different from our own.

So we breathe. And let it go.

Because when complaints and tired, grouchy moods are present it means thank goodness, that so is the person.

Which means we have the blessing of being together

tumblr_md9v54IM7z1ri50lgo1_500

and relishing our wonderfully, imperfect lives and our abundance of blessings.

 If you’re interested about this topic of happiness, I stumbled on this tiny article, The 10 Secrets of Happy Women.

In the meantime, thank you for stopping on such an amazing day.

tumblr_mebtk5yeMq1ruxmcho1_500crushculdesac

Wishing you a Christmas overflowing with contentment and love!!

xoxo

Leslie

 

 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

You have no idea how glad I am that I read this just now.

I've literally just got my children settled in bed.....Christmas movie watched, hot chocolate drunk, notes to Father Christmas written and mince pies, milk & carrots left out, stockings are hung, Christmas stories read....

My 7 yr old is totally excited, my 11 yr old daughter much more laidback, she's lost a little of that excitement....and that is making me a little sad...only a tiny bit but you know?

And I've spent all day thinking that it's the last time that my son might truly "believe"....I'm conscious of hanging on to every moment & that's making me a little sad too!

Live in the moment and appreciate what is right now....breathe.

Such great advice...so glad I read this, I will keep it in mind.

I did smile at your comment on dressing for Christmas....we have all these great visions, sometimes they happen, sometimes they don't.

Sometimes we just need someone wiser than us to remind us to breathe....thank you.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, I wish you a wonderful and peaceful holiday.

Much love,
Simone XX

Unknown said...

PS I love the photo of the reindeer in traffic.

And I really enjoyed the "10 Secrets..."....I'll definitely be referring back to that XX

chillcat said...

So true that when we step back to organise and stress, we are no longer living the experience. A good thing to remember. I also enjoyed the 10 tips. It's so important to underline these things.

I have my lot all here now and tomorrow will be a big day. Warm wishes to you and yours and thank you for these enlightened thoughts. Love Catherine

Anonymous said...

Thank you! And I love that picture of the reindeer pulling the sleigh. Again, thank you for the post.

Diana said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. It is important to live in the moment and breathe.

Debra@CommonGround said...

such a perfect post! I used to have all those "perfect" expectations, but the many years have made me wiser. And the fact that being mad on Christmas doesn't really thrill God. LOL! I'd like to sit down and have an afternoon with you to chat. After the Holidays a lengthy email in in store. Have a blessed and Happy Christmas!

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Amen. So perfectly said! Thank you Leslie!

Vanessa said...

Hi, Leslie

Great post and hope you had a lovely Christmas. Have a great week.

Hugs,

Vanessa

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Merry Christmas my friend!! I hope you had a wonderful holiday!

Monica said...

This is by far the best Christmas post that I have read. I try to recite little mantra's about "being present" in moments of joy (and immense planning) Christmas, birthdays etc. Thanks so much for the much needed reminder about truly what matters most in life. I'm working on....
Sending you all the best for a beautiful new year. xx - Monica

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...