Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

where I blog

DSC_1088 (2)copy

Early this morning when I walked into my office, I saw my old shoes under the desk

and I smiled.

DSC_1040 (2)copy

The sun was beginning to filter through the shutters, bathing the room in an soft pool of light

and I was suddenly struck by the quietness of the house

and the beauty of this little space.

This is where I blog.

DSC_1037second3

There’s nothing fancy or expensive about this room, but I love it because it’s my own space in the house, filled with a collection of thrift store finds and antique pieces mixed in with the practical things. The printer and the small TV of course, so I can follow the crazy world of national politics. 

DSC_1045 (2)

Some people watch reality shows. I watch Morning Joe, Meet the Press. This Morning with George Stephanopoulos and Face the Nation faithfully. I find that watching the petty antics of the US Congress is better than any fake melodrama, although it does make me rant at the television and regularly wish for a female President. But that’s another subject.

On this particular morning I came into the room looking for something and for some reason I stopped. I found myself looking over the objects that surround me everyday. Really seeing things.

And  I decided to grab my camera.

DSC_1057copy

For one second I thought about replacing these worn shoes for the photos, bringing in my silver ballet flats instead. You know, staging things. But then I thought, wait-a-minute, this is really Me. Why pretend with my readers?

And I thought that maybe you have a pair of old shoes you still like to wear because they’re so comfy.

So I left them in the pictures.

 

DSC_1055copy

This is the latest love of my life. It’s a fluffy sheep skin throw that I keep on my chair because I’m always cold. If you ever notice a woman huddled in a thick coat inside the movie theater it might be me. Seriously, even in summer.

DSC_1062copy

I keep my pens and pencils in an old teapot. This morning it was sitting on top of one of my current reads, Wherever You Go There You Are.

DSC_1063copy

Whenever I sit down I usually find myself staring at the latest photo Mr. Moss has put on the screen.

What do you see when you turn on your computer?

I happen to love this photo because the boys look so young; and they’re still shorter than their six foot tall Dad, which is no more.

DSC_1053copy

Do you mind seeing the warts-and-all of this room?  On the side of my desk is the cord that I plan on hiding some day. And my current files that I’m using.

DSC_1046copy

Behind me is the waste basket. I bought it at Home Goods because it had a lid, and I prefer not seeing garbage. But there’s something quirky about the lid.

Oh well, I think I’m liking it’s oddness.

DSC_1033 (2)copy

This is a close up of one of my favorite mirrors of all time. I had walked up immediately after the antique dealer hung this up in her booth for sale and I couldn’t believe it. It was exactly what I’d been looking for.

Don’t you love when that happens?

DSC_1039copy

And here’s what this vintage mirror looks like on the wall.

DSC_1085copy

When I’m writing I can glimpse the industrial style shelving on my right.

DSC_1067copy

Although you can’t see it, the words, “Be Grateful” are typed out on my Grandfather’s old typewriter. I actually struggled between that message and the one I remember him always saying which was,

“Always be humble.”

Do people ever say that anymore?

DSC_1068copy

 

DSC_1080

Now it’s time to pretend you’re peeking over my desk. This is the view of the oak piece I refinished in a soft, gray color. It’s what my printer sits on.

DSC_0491

This is what I started with.

DSC_1034 (2)copy2

And this is the final finish.

DSC_1078copy

On the wall next to the printer I have a burlap bulletin board with personal mementos, photos, an old letter from my grandfather and some precious artwork from the boys. (As you can see, I don’t have an average size heart,) 

DSC_1076copy

This morning I had Anne Lamott’s book, bird by bird on my desk. I consider it a “must-read” for anyone interested in writing.

DSC_1074copy

I also cannot begin my day without a strong cup of coffee. Actually I can’t get by unless I drink at least 2-3 cups of strong stuff. But I always put 1% milk in it.

How about you? Do you prefer your coffee black or with milk?

DSC_1042 (2)copy

One more shot of some winter white loveliness…

DSC_1066copy

Do you have a special place where you like to write or read?

239816748878341129_Ayw9AJ5l_c

Virginia Woolf believed that every woman needed a room of her own, But I believe that was actually a metaphor for simply carving out important time for one’s self. A place to contemplate and create things and develop your own life.

What do you think?

I’d love to hear.

xoxo

Leslie

I’m linking up here:

 

19 comments:

Being Reese 2 said...

I love this! It's looks like a very calm atmosphere. I especially love the "Write fearlessly" sign. I need that reminder every now and then.

Reese

Anne Lorys said...

Beautiful!
So nice to discover you!!!

XO,
Anne

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess said...

What a lovely, calming space. I love sheepskins for adding softness, so yours jumped right out at me.

2012 was a tougher year for me than I let myself acknowledge for a while, and I had to take a big step back from blogging. But things are looking up now, and I hope to be back reading your artful and profound words on a regular basis. :-)

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Leslie it was so fun to see a glimpse of your 'world'! I love the industrial shelving and what you did to that oak piece is just totally awesome! Love the throw - my daughter would love to have one like that - can you still get them somewhere?
I drink my coffee with cream and sugar. I prefer half and half and maples syrup but I will use whatever milk is around. Also love the natural sweetened cream.

Gypsy Heart said...

I love it when bloggers keep it real ~ cords and all! :) I have cords that drive me crazy but haven't found a way to hide some of them.

Your space is beautiful and looks very peaceful. I love all the special touches you have around you. The words from your grandfather are so special! I never did know mine ~ he passed away when I was 2-1/2. The family tells me how much he adored me and I love that! My grandmother was my heart. She taught me the Lord's Prayer and always reminded me that the words "Thy will be done" are the most difficult to express honestly. She passed away in the 60's but I miss her every day!

I have to have my coffee strong and with French Vanilla creamer. Just can't do black or milk. ;-)

Thanks again for sharing!
xo
Pat
P.S. Love the shoes ~

Debra@CommonGround said...

I have your shoes, paper mache tray and love for strong coffee!

One More Time Events said...

Very Nice...I have a room of my own...but.... there is so many projects and projects to be done there is no room for me...lol.. you have just inspired me to get in there and organize it.
Thanks for the inspiration..this weekend would be good since it's going to rain.

Art and Sand said...

I love "where you write". I usually sit on the window seat in the dining room. Retirement comes in just 132 days and then I really will have to figure out a daily spot for my flip flops and bottle of diet Snapple to sit waiting for me.

Your room is great, but the favorite is your grandpa's typewriter. The only thing I have from my GP is the antique bottle capper he had for his home made beer.

Unknown said...

Such a lovely post, Leslie...I have a cashmere blanket over the back of my chair in my study...I'm always cold too ;-) I can picture you there!
I LOVE your Grandfather's typewriter what a treasure that is. My daughter would laugh at you asking does anybody say 'always be humble' it's certainly one of my sayings along with 'always be kind'.
Thanks for popping by this week and your kind words.
Have a great weekend.
Catherine
xx

Vanessa said...

Hi, Leslie

What a lovely post. I so enjoyed all the pictures, especially the shoes, throw blanket and your office chair. Love the chair. Where did you find that lovely goodness? LOL Have a great day.

Vanessa

The Remodeled Life said...

What a precious and beautiful place! I love all of the personal and sweet details!

Emma said...

What a beautiful work space, very inspiring! I found your blog via Aloha Friday Blog Hop, wishing you a great weekend!

Tammy said...

I love your "space". And that white fluffy thing! lol
Glad to have "found" you!
TaLou @ http://www.talesofacanadiancoffeeholic.ca/

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

You are brave! I would have to seriously tidy up before I revealed my niche. I also change rooms, chairs, lighting. I do have a room of my own but I rarely use it. I spend my days taxiing kids and trying to find the thread again. Perhaps a calm wise environment such as this with a locked door?? Xcat

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Leslie, It's nice to see your pretty office space. I love the throw and your old typewriter.
xx, Sherry

must love junk said...

Beautiful space and I love how it genuinely reflects 'you'!
Susan

Pitter and Glink said...

Your space looks so beautiful and peaceful. :)

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Beautiful space~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

Bill Lisleman said...

coffee = black and strong.
I have a home office area but actually like to move around with my laptop. Nice office. You must like white.
(oh first time here and I don't remember the path I took)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...