Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Do you know your Word?

 

I want a Word. I really do.

It’s the beginning of the new year and I keep coming across these incredibly inspiring posts like THIS one and THIS one that include a vision for the writer’s upcoming year. A Word (or two) that they’ve chosen as their mantra for 2013.

And I don’t have my Word for 2013. Do you?

Last night we all went to see the movie, The Silver Lining Playbook (which I loved) and even Bradley Cooper’s character, who was recently released from a mental health facility had a Word.

slp-yahooimage-lg-jpg_165143

And it was a pretty good Word too. (side note: gosh he’s cute).

But I’m having trouble deciding on my Word, because I’m not good at this.

I’m fickle, I admit it. 

What if I fall in love with a Word this month but have second doubts by March? What if I’m in a different place in the summer and my Word is holding me back?  Can I dump my Word without seeming shallow?

After all, my Word is no small decision. It’s like choosing the one sentence of your life.  I still can’t commit to that one either, although I am getting closer.

But here’s my problem. I think one’s Word should speak to one’s deeper self. It should make you feel like you’re the only one in the room that can hear its cryptic meaning. Your Word should offer you a sweet, hopeful vision about your future. And make you feel giddy and excited just by saying its name.

Am I expecting too much from my Word?

Because I’d like to find a Word that encapsulates Colin Powell’s positive approach to life.

colin-powell-sm

“Optimism isn’t a prediction, it’s an attitude.”

  I really like the former U.S Secretary of State’s rationale for being an optimist, optimism is not a prediction, he says. So there’s absolutely nothing to lose if you’re positive.  I like that.

1206653935_8509

It appeals to that side of my personality that loves Woody Allen’s hilarious, anxiety-ridden dialogue (hint:  I “get” it).

Nora Ephron_headshot

I also want to find a sassy, confident Word

that incorporates Nora Ephron’s attitude about breaking rules and being a woman who helps other women along the way.

Pinned Image

 

2644179_sq-f922fdb4e35db65bc12193164a01f63927ee2359

I’d like to find a strong, comforting Word that includes Winston Churchill’s reassurance that most of our worries NEVER happen. Because I get tired of worrying so much.

If you’re interested you can read Winston Churchill’s six tips for living a successful life HERE.

 

I want a wise Word that conveys these sentiments from the  Lao Tzu’s Tao Te Ching

185280972139326121_efYxyTQ6_c

To attain knowledge, add things everyday.
To attain wisdom, remove things every day.

Because I like the idea of letting go of stuff and things. The emotional and physical baggage that weigh us down.

 

And I’d like to find a Word that overflows with Audrey Hepburn’s wisdom about beauty. Because with each tiny line I see on my face, I’m reminded that we are so much more than our bodies. And I believe that we each have so much to offer to the world, just like Audrey.

tumblr_mb9c7kW4HM1r80jjso1_500

These are some of my thoughts as we begin this brand new year.

 

 

tumblr_lnbl18IAqL1qd6b51o1_400

And these are my three Words.

Yes, I’ve finally decided.

Whatever lies ahead, I want to find a way to Shine. To grow. To welcome the unexpected and to practice being outrageously grateful. Everyday. I’m thinking about wonderful possibilities for 2013. And hoping for a few things that I haven’t even imagined.

And I’m wishing them for you too.

Alright 2013, I’m ready. Let’s have some joy!

Happy New Years

xoxo

Leslie

 

I’m linking up here, please check it out.

 

Technorati Tags:

 

 

 

17 comments:

Unknown said...

"Choose to Shine", brilliant!!! What a great post :)

It is difficult to choose just one word isn't it, very difficult...because, as you say, it needs to last & you don't want to reach a point where you are held back by it. I love to have a word but for some of the reasons that you mention above, I chose three words :)

Off to read some of your links now.

Happy New Year :)

WhatJeanLikes said...

Gwen, this post is filled with so much to inspire. I don't know what my word would be this year. Maybe perservere? I still feel that it doesn't quite fit! Now I'm going to be thinking about this the rest of the day. Thank you for this post, I love to get inspired by blogs.

I hope you're having a great week and a Happy New Year!

If you have time, we'd love to have you come and link up to the Aloha Friday Blog Hop if you haven't already! (Thank you so very much if you've already linked up, I truly appreciate it!!)

Come and link up and celebrate the coming weekend with us!

Aloha,

Jean {What Jean Likes}

The (not so) Special Mother said...

Beautiful! You've inspired me to come up with a word.

I think it will be "now." It's a very important word to me, because I tend to to dwell and worry, and the only thing that needs to be my focus is what is happening, well, now. What do you think?

Donnamae said...

Absolutely, hands down, best post!! Thank you! You've summed it up perfectly! ;)

Unknown said...

I think coming up with a Word should be simple and many put way too much pressure on themselves to make sure it is the right one. I believe that God gives it to us. I don't set resolutions, but I come up with a word. This is fairly new for me, but it has kept me grounded. Each day, week or month it might change, but the one God gave to me at the beginning will bring me back to the place I need to be reminded of. I just wrote about my word as well. http://farfromperfectmamma.com/chills-or-tears/

Rachel said...

Hey there - new follower from the blog hop! Love the blog & can't wait to read more! Hope you have a great day! :)
Rachel
http://sugar-stripes.blogspot.com/

Leslie Harris said...

Hi Leah, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I actually was writing this with a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor. Not meant to convey any angst, and definitely no pressure. When it comes to my approach for the new year, I'm inclined to chose a sense of humor over a "word" any day. Just my humble view. And thanks for the link, I will definitely check out your post.
Leslie

Kathy Olson said...

Loved this post and your three words!

Kathy Olson said...

P.S. Bradley Cooper is so cute.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Leslie, you already do!!! I love this post!

Linda K. said...

Whatever the one word is, you've summed it all up in your post here. Shine, grow, bloom, lots to be inspired by. Live each day, in three words. Great post, great inspiration.

Linda

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

I'm so glad that you found your word! I can't decide upon mine. I actually thought of shine too! I just can't find a word that speaks to me yet. Last year I chose "believe". I want to still use it but add onto it. Argh! Maddening, isn't it? I'll come up with something when I least expect it. Enjoy shining! Hugs, Leena

Bohemian said...

My Word Mantras for 2013 are "Zen" and "Inspired".

Happy New Year from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I really enjoyed your post -- very thought provoking! I have been choosing a word every yearn for some time now, and find it very fulfilling. Sometimes it's easy and other times, it takes me a bit of thinking. The ones that come easily seem to have the most meaning for me. Good luck with the words you have chosen!

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

I do love Lao Tze's words. And I understand your qualms about worrying. The thing is, I worry that if I don't worry, something will go wrong. The worst possible thing might be to relax!

Choose to Shine is good. I'm working on my mantra, but I think last year's is still in place. All the best in 2013.

Jeanne Henriques said...

Oh dear...a word..this will take some pondering. I love your thought process Leslie...I always do. I am looking forward to checking out the links..you always have a way of giving us more than we expected, I love that about your writing. We are simpatico my friend and yes...he is very cute!

Sending you wishes for much happiness in the New Year...may your shine brightly each and every day. I just know you will.

Best wishes my friend..

Jeanne xx

Anita at Cedar Hill said...

Shine, yes that's a good one with lots of meaning, simple like mine. I think the simplier the word, the more profound, and the more full of meaning it is. Yes, I like your word.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...