Pages

Monday, January 29, 2018

My latest DIY: Wainscot Wall with Picture Ledge





Hello friends, since I'm down with a bad cold today I thought I'd post some photos for those of you who like to see DIY projects.

This is my latest.


I had posted this picture on my IG the other day, but it wasn't really finished because I decided to add a "lip" on the ledge afterwards. Just to keep the art from sliding off.
I'm like that. I sort of figure things out as I go along.

If you're thinking of adding some architectural interest to one of you walls, here's what I used:


I'm a visual person, and when I'm looking at a lot of DIY measurements and instructions I find it intimidating. Show me pictures! I especially like to see the wood pieces of a project before they're assembled.  Maybe this is helpful for you too.

I chose to use basic 'common boards' for this project since I was planning on painting them. Plus, I already had these 1X4s leftover from another project, so why not use them?


I found the panels on the same aisle as the beadboard and as you can see, it's plain and smooth.  Here's a close-up look of the thickness of the panel--after I cut the height down. 



I only needed one 1/4" panel for this wall.



 First I decided how high I wanted the picture ledge to be.

Then I measured, cut and leveled the panel on the wall. It wasn't long enough but that was ok, because the 1x4s at each end would cover the gaps. All I did was center the panel. (thanks Dad for solving this problem for me)

I added two additional vertical (1x4) pieces in the middle, using my trusted level the whole time.


Before I nailed the panel to the wall I also needed to cut out the space for my electrical outlet. After I bought a new blade for my jigsaw it went perfectly.


I had planned on using wood glue on the panel, before the nails, but I totally forgot. That's what happens when you work alone, I know if my Dad was here that wouldn't happen. But luckily since it was a small area, the panel adhered to the wall easily.

Before I nailed the vertical 1x4's into the panel I decided to roll on three coats of white paint. Then I would only need to touch up afterwards. 



Not having to paint around those vertical pieces made it so much quicker!

close up of the picture ledge:


Since it was in my little dining nook I didn't want a big ledge, I thought 2 1/2 inches would work fine.




Here's a close-up after I added the lip to the ledge. I still needed a final coat of paint and caulking but you get the idea.



The best part of this project is that it looks great without any art at all. I love the simple all-white background too.









I'm really happy with how it turned out. It gives me a lot of flexibility to change things around, especially for the holidays. If  you have an open floor plan without a lot of wall space this is a good idea for you too.

I sure hope you're staying healthy, I was doing so well until this last weekend. 

Have a great week friends, and thanks for stopping by!

xo
Leslie

Joining these friends:

15 comments:

Simply LKJ said...

It looks fantastic Leslie. I bet it will be fun to decorate during the holidays as well. Feel better soon!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Leslie,

First let me say I hope that you are feeling better! The flu/cold that has been going around is terrible. I had it myself at Thanksgiving and was laid up for 3 weeks.

Second, thanks for coming to visit my blog. It is always so nice to hear from you! To answer your question, I have two step-kids and 2 step-grand-kids. They are the cutest little boys and currently they live in Argentina so we see them about 2-3 times a year right now.

Lastly, this ledge and wall look FABULOUS! You are so inspiring and talented. I just love to see what you are up too!

Have a great night!

xo Elizabeth

mollie's mom said...

Feel better soon. I absolutely love the way this looks with the art propped on the ledge. What a fun, versatile addition to the room. I'm looking around to see where I could do the same treatment.

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

Great job! These are similar to the walls we did in the master bedroom of our old house in town. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I did mine. ...Feel better soon, friend!

NanaDiana said...

That really does look great, Leslie...and adds such a big impact for the amount of $$ spent. You did a great job.

I hope you feel better soon. We have had some medical things going on with kids in the family so know how it can keep you down. xo Diana

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This looks so great, Leslie! We did ledges on our board and batten walls, but I never thought of using them to display art that way. Thank you for the inspiration! Hope you feel better SOON!

Carla from The River said...

I like it. You did a great job.
Our family got hit with the flu bug. It was awful. The first time for us to be so ill in so long. I had a fever of 102! It was just awful.

I pray you will be well soon. xx oo

Blondie's Journal said...

I think its so cool that you guys tackle projects like this It makes me think there should be a shop/home/car repair course in law school!! This is top notch and it adds so much interest to the wall. Well done!!

Jane

La Contessa said...

LOVE IT TOO!
BEAUTIFUL................I can see how you will be changing it out from time to time!
Hope your FLU BUG is SHORT LIVED!!!!!!
XX

Calypso In The Country said...

You have some impressive skills, my friend! Love the new wall and how you styled it. I hope you are feeling better. 3 of the 4 of us had the flu during Christmas week and it was awful. I am so worried that my 14 year old will come down with it now. I am constantly asking him how he feels and I have homemade chicken soup in the crock pot at this very moment. I am doing everything I can to keep us all healthy! Normally, I love every season but this year I am SO ready for this winter (and all the winter germs) to go away! Enjoy the rest of your week and feel better!
Shelley

Unknown said...

Hey, it looks great! On matters of style, swim with the current, on matters of principle, stand like a rock.
Most people will never be great in #Style, BUT YOU ARE ;-).

Let me share something with you! Did you know that you can print favorite photos of your work and hang them on the wall as canvas prints? Bring your ideas into real life, with an option to print even large canvas prints.

Submit comment

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

Wow!!!! You are so talented Leslie. To have the vision and then produce it is amazing. Something I wish I could do. xx

Jelda Hostetler said...

You can actually just apply the ledge and trim to the drywall and forego the 1/4” plywood panel. Looks the same if you are painting and you don’t have to cut out around outlets. I did this in my dining room.

Laura said...

You did a wonderful job.
What a wonderful place to rotate all of your treasures.
You are inspirational as always!
I hope you feel better.

Unknown said...

That looks awesome and with all the pre pictures I think I can tackle this one. Thank you so much for taking the time to do and explain for the simple minded people like myself 🙂

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...