Pages

Monday, October 17, 2016

the simplest Halloween centerpiece ever


I can't believe Halloween is right around the corner. 


This used to be the time when I'd be running around at full speed getting all my decorations ready for our annual Halloween party. I know some of you remember those parties at our old home, boy did we have some great times.

 Not only was the actual event a blast, but I loved the chance to create something new to add to our massive collection of Halloween décor. 

Sigh.
These days I've toned down my Halloween decorating but I still like to do something creative on my blog for Halloween.



Do you remember my dinner party I styled a while back for my ghosts? 

While this year it's all about keeping it simple.
In fact this might be the easiest Halloween centerpiece ever, in case you're entertaining at your house or even for a cute hostess gift.


You only need three items to actually make it (although I added a few others).

I bought 18 red roses from Costco for $13.00
I used a small brass vase.
And I a stalk of these flowers with little round thistles.

I'm sorry I can't remember the name, but if you know it please share. Using the real ones will give you the best effects, but I couldn't find any around here, so fakes would have to do.
sprayed black...
When using real ones they will stand up better in the bouquet, so you have to cut them with a longer stem if you can....so their spiky heads pop up in the roses.

Tuck some dried moss so that it spills out from around the  entire vase, add as many spiders as you like and one black crow coming out on top....
and it's done.




Are you dressing up for Halloween this year?


xo
Leslie

11 comments:

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love this, Leslie...a high-end looking Halloween! And the mask on the portrait is pure fun!

Art and Sand said...

We sometimes dress up for Halloween just to pass out candy, but we have to relocate to a hotel in Ojai the next day to have our house tented so my guess is we will be madly packing things up for the tenting.

The house is decorated, but I am thinking I need some red roses and black thistles.

Blondie's Journal said...

This vase is awesome and makes me smile. I no longer decorate for Halloween. I have a huge bowl of treats in bags with candy and pencils and plastic spider rings...totally takes away that waiting for the little ones to make their choice while I sure them to take more! Soon I'll be an ogre who doesn't even decorate for Christmas! ;-D

Jane xxx

Lottie said...

Cool!......When I got to the pic where you spray painted the brown plastic things black I moaned for joy! I love the red roses with the spiders and bird! Very creative!

Karen said...

Leslie,
I love this idea! The thistle (don't think this is the actual name of the plant) painted black is very clever. I've not bought a black crow yet, but I do love the addition. Oddly, here in Irvine we have several flocks of the black birds living in the trees in the park, maybe I could pay one or two to visit! :-)
We're babysitting our granddaughter for the kids annual Halloween Party...works for me.
xo,
Karen

designchic said...

That looks amazing! Love the flower arrangement and the mask looks great!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

LEslie, this is so cleaver! I love it. Although to be honest I am not a huge fan of Halloween, I hate scary things. I am off tomorrow to get some of these things to make my version of your arrangement.

Hope that you are enjoying Fall!

Sunnyeri said...

Something from the Black Swan... Something from the Lady Bathory... I love that!
I`m following ur blog with a great pleasure via Bloglovin
Please join me
Sunny Eri: beauty experience

Unknown said...

I'm always amazed at your creativity, Leslie. This looks perfect for Halloween--a touch of elegance, a touch of chic, a touch of creep.... Love it!! I do remember your festive dinner parties or Halloween bashes, such fun!! I would be your neighbor anytime! ;)
Have a lovely week, my friend!
xx, Heather
PS-I'm off on another 'limb' over on Style*Mind*Chic Life. Something about this new retirement phase has me energized for new chapters... x

michele said...

you are fun and that portrait is so so cool. i am not a halloween fan and never have been. *reclines on the therapist's couch* i was sad every year as a child on halloween. the worst part? i never learned to read! *that last part is a lie* fortunately i have a partner in crime and so we ditch it every year by doing something fun and rebellious. my husband hands out candy and oohs and ahhs over the costumes while i am away!

Claudia Fabiana said...

Oh, my! I love this arrangement! And it looks amazing with the portrait too. I am pinning it to my Holiday Group Board, because your post is so fabulous!!

ciao

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...