Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Before and After pictures and 3 Fall Makeover Tips....


Hello friends.
The other day I shared this picture on Instagram; it was two of my recent thrift store finds that I'd transformed, and afterwards I thought it would be fun to share more Before and After pictures with you.


I think it's fun to see the transformations that can happen with those cheapo items that others pass on, don't you?


Here's a few pictures from a little Fall makeover I did on my front door. I wanted to switch my color scheme this year without spending much
(sound familiar?)
and here's how I did it.

Tip 1: Shop those thrift stores



Before

It's hard to see the cool looking basket in this shot but that's why I paid a whole $5.99 for it.
Plus, all those fake leaves and berries and pumpkins. If you're a crafter you know how those artificial fall stems add up, in fact when I was in Hobby Lobby I saw tiny, fake pumpkin stems for $2.99 each and look here, 4 big ones ready to be sprayed for Halloween.
Ok. Enough said, I snapped this up at ye old Goodwill store. 


I completely dismantled it.

And here's my After
...now filled with real pumpkins, moss and pinecones.
(See what I mean about that basket?)

for this year's door...

I decided to switch from last year's traditional orange shades and go with mostly white and muted colors.

So I decided to use this plain wreath I already had for my door.
My inspiration?
  1. I found the last two stalks of cotton at Michael's. 
  2. I added a few stems of white berries 
  3. ...and a pack of little pumpkins. 

I chose the stems for those silvery leaves and the shades of cream...
helped along with a little Chalk paint...


First thing I did was to cut up all my stems and add them around the wreath.

I didn't buy any flowers, instead I tucked in some dried hydrangea from an old flower arrangement
(tip: save your hydrangea!).


I made a quick Welcome sign
that I cut from some leftover wood.


After I added a few leaves from my new 'thrift store collection'... it was finished.


Tip 2: Use Paint


Next I re-painted last year's big Welcome pumpkin (from Michael's) so I could put it inside an urn next to my door. I originally had this pumpkin in a pot and it had bleached out from the sun so it was time for a paint job anyway.
More chalk paint...which I blended with a dab of leftover yellow for a touch of realness.


After



This year I didn't have time to hunt for the perfect white pumpkins so I just bought the cheap orange ones from Home Depot and spray painted them. Afterwards I touched them up with chalk paint because I noticed the spray paint came off a little too easy.

I added more of the raffia inside this old window box that I planted with white Mums....


Here's the After



Tip 3: Shop your house

I know how it feels. Sometimes it's hard to start a new project without buying something new. Even I started looking on Craigslist for a old bench I could use for this front area until I remembered a rickety old chair, an empty window box and a few urns in the garage.

I hosed the chair down and stuck it next to my front door with these thrift store rain boots I sprayed with gold paint and planted with Mums

These boot were originally pink and black....


I'll probably add more color but for now I'm using white Mums...

and pots of Dusty Miller with white pumpkins...
Well, I hope I gave you a few ideas you can use
and whatever decorating project you tackle, I hope you remember to relax and not get hung up on those little imperfections.
It's all about enjoying the process, don't you think?


I'm so grateful for your visit.
xo
Leslie

17 comments:

Calypso In The Country said...

I really need to buy some chalk paint. I am always so impressed with how great painted pumpkins end up looking! Happy Fall to you!
Shelley

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Great ideas Gwen! Everything looks great. I think I'm going to try painting orange pumpkins do outdoors. I wonder if moisture will effect the paint?

sandi s said...

I love all your beautiful ideas. Everything looks so wonderful! Thank you for sharing all your ideas. Hugs,

Karen said...

Leslie,
I love these autumn bargains and your creative makeovers. It's always a great thing when you can find a bargain and transform it.
xo,
Karen

La Contessa said...

Well, where to start............1.We do not have the same HARDWARE on our IDENTICAL FRONT DOORS!
2.I LOVE THOSE BOOTS IN GOLD..........
3. YOU got a DEAL with ALL YOUR FAKE STUFF.
4.I do not know how YOU DO ALL THAT YOU DO!!!!!!!!!
XX

Blondie's Journal said...

You make all of this look so easy but I know it's not and it takes time...kudos to you! You make it sound doable for a klutz like me!! I love the wreath...did you use a glue gun? They scare me! lol! Painting the pumpkins is also a great idea. Thank you, Ms. Genius!

Jane

Sarah said...

Leslie, the wreath is gorgeous. I like the natural colors this time of year. Happy Fall!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Really great inspiration to look at existing things in new ways!!! Happy October!
Mary Ann

Nancy said...

so pretty! amazing what a little paint can do ;)

Lori said...

Having a vision and then taking the ball and running with it! I have to be in the right kind of mood to see the potential in something when I am in Goodwill. These tips and tricks make the after shots beautiful Leslie. xo

Katie Mansfield said...

I love your makeovers. The wreath is amazing. The white pumpkins are just too cute.

Unknown said...

White pumpkins such a great idea, they look fabulous, white simplicity, nothing better. And the gold Wellington boots I'm hunting for them!!! Lovely chatting on Instagram, Leslie, hope all is wonderful in your world �� Love from the UK xx

michele said...

these are awesome transformations, leslie!! but i want to wear those boots! i mean they have a wedge! i love the cotton and your dutch door is so adorable--what a dream door! i hope to get a little something done for my front porch for fall, but not sure it will happen in time to enjoy it. already thinking of christmas, doncha know. best to you as you resurrect the uglies, keeping them out of the landfills and making your guests smile upon arrival. xox

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

OMG Leslie!!! You are SO talented. I loved the gold boots and the wreath.
Please can you come over and give my place the "Leslie/Gwen Moss treatment?
Hope you are well lovely lady xx

Summer said...

Everything is so beautiful! Love the sign and those gold boots ♥

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

OH I love this post, Leslie! You did such a wonderful job of taking thrift store finds and making them look current and expensive! Wonderful before and afters! I love your Dutch door!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Leslie,

I love all of your beautiful decorations! I never thought of painting real pumpkins! I love that idea.

Love the gold boots too! Magical.

Have a fabulous weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...