Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Plank walls and painting is done--Master bedroom update

Hello friends.
Today I thought I post a few photos of my progress in our Master bedroom.
But first.
Let's revisit this dark and dreary BEFORE photo. Yikes, no Photoshop here that's for sure, you can barely see the text. Remember, this is the room that I happily ignored since we've moved in this house. And yes, those are prints I literally tacked up on the wall. Do you need further proof of how neglected this poor room has been?
Here's another pic sans the tacks
but as you can see... this room is screaming for a make-over.

So the good news is the plank wall is done! Well actually there are two walls with planks
--the biggest wall the bed will go against 
and the short entry wall with the master bathroom door.
Yesterday I finished the last of the painting--the trim and baseboards, and even though it was late in the day I managed to get a few photos for you....

Here's a good shot of the previous paint shade.
This photo also shows the new 4 inch door trim that I'm replacing on all our doors.
When Dad and I were pulling this trim off it literally broke into pieces. I'm seeing first hand that all the wood work in this house was installed on the cheap.
This is the first view you see when  you come into the room
and I like that it's a plank wall you'll see first.



photo after the first coat of paint

So what did I learn from my first DIY plank experience?
Well, for starters I wish I would've watched this video before I began-- it's actually exactly what i did except for one teeny weeny thing.
Unfortunately I didn't paint the edges of my planks prior to installing them on the wall... and right after this first paint coat I realized that my regular roller and brush couldn't penetrate the small cracks.
So what to do?
I guess I could've left it alone but I went to Home Depot and found a special fine bristle brush and yep, it took an extra day but I got on the ladder and basically painted over all the seams and cracks in the planks.
I know. Where was my glass of wine?


It's still not perfect but....hooray for that rustic-imperfect look right?

Here's a picture of one of the large botanicals I'm using in this room.


Paint color:
Farrow and Ball Wimborne White--
a warm, bright white that is perfect for this north facing room!

                    Today I'm picking out the fabric for my headboard and here are some of my choices...


....and here's a shot of the foam and plywood that's currently on top my dining room table. I'm excited to try this project--- I think I have all my supplies and since this is my first upholstery headboard I'll be sure to take pictures and let you know how it goes.

xo
Leslie




20 comments:

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Excellent! So pretty.

Jeanne Henriques said...

Wonderful Leslie, I love it!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

The before color is the same color our master bedroom was painted (and stayed that way for almost a decade even though I hated it). I'm sooooo impressed with your planking and trim work, Leslie!!! I'd love to do that in the bedroom that's still covered in cracked plaster, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do it and keep the original tapered 10 inch baseboard trim. I'll be watching your progress and taking notes just in case. Your master looks amazing already and you're not even done!!

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Leslie, it looks fabulous! You are in inspiration! I cannot wait to see your headboard next. This took is going to be as beautiful as all of the other rooms in the house.

michele said...

exciting!!!! you did a beautiful job with the plank walls! what a transformation. and what a great tip for all of us with plans to plank. loving too the linen options you are choosing from for the headboard. it's gonna look amazing, and how gratifying that you are creating it with your own two hands--DIVA! peace.

Calypso In The Country said...

Love it Leslie! The planked walls add SO much to the room. I just love the look - amd the blue and white lamp!
Shelley

Karen said...

I love the way this turned out. I'm happy for the details and hints because I'd love to do this sometime to one of our bedrooms.

It's really taking shape, can't wait to see the rest.
Karen

Nancy said...

looking good! your dad rocks by the way ;)

Laura said...

It looks wonderful and the planked walls are full of character and texture.
Show us more!

Laura
WSP

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love the look of the planked walls, Leslie...thank you for the tip about the sides, too. It's going to be beautiful! I am spending this weekend painting down at the lake, too...thankfully with lots of help, as there is much to be done. You always inspire me!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love the plank wall and look forward to more pictures of your progress. You are doing a great job.

FlowerLady

Sarah said...

Looking good! I like the plank wall and the natural linens. This room is going to be bright and beautiful.

Carla from The River said...

I like it. The planked walls are now on my dream list. :-)

mollie's mom said...

Well it is just fabulous! What a difference that plank wall made and white is my fave!! Love it all. Can't wait to see that headboard. You are a busy gal.
Marcie

Vannessa@Luxuria said...

It's looking GORGEOUS Leslie. I am so into white and navy at the moment. So loving everything about your room xx

JoanMarie said...

Oh My Word Leslie - this is all gorgeous! I love the planked walls, just love them and your headboard will be stunning. The fabric choices are perfect and I can't wait to see it all done. Superb work!
JoanMarie

cindy hattersley design said...

This is going to be fabulous! Can't wait to see the upholstered headboard (you are brave my friend!!)

cindy hattersley design said...

I left a comment that didn't post apparently! You are so talented. I always love your ideas. You inspire me to be better!!

Unknown said...

This is looking so fresh and pretty, Leslie. Great tip on painting the pieces before putting them up. It seems like your fix worked well. You have such a great style-love this.
Happy weekend!!
xx

Unknown said...

You are so talented, well done!! X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...