Pages

Monday, April 25, 2016

Master Bedroom Changes-painted furniture and a new headboard


Oh it's sooooo nice to be back!!


Well, it turns out that April has been rather a mischievous technology friend to me and for the last few weeks I've been nursing a computer that completely crashed. Then in addition, a misdiagnosis by the pubescent-looking technology wizard at the local Best Buy 
(Am I the only one who ages 20 years just sitting at the counter of the local Geek Squad?) 
left me without any ability to write or access my photos on either my laptop or desktop 
(big sigh)...
let's just say I've been getting another lesson on "letting go" lately.
The good news is that in the DIY department I've been quite the busy bee.

I've finished painting our bedroom furniture, which includes two bedside tables and our dresser. Since this is a "friendly budget" make-over I'm making do with what I've already got, although I'm not generally a fan of an entire room of painted furniture, it's a vast improvement.
Here's a few photos of some of the progress.
Dark blah looking dresser:







After: New (gray) paint and hardware

And here's a Before photo of our bedside tables.



Nothing wrong with them
other than they needed some sanding and re-staining or a new paint job.

As you can see I decided to lighten the tables to fit my Modern Cottage vibe in here and I went with a two-tone paint finish.

 I also added a sisal rug from my favorite Newport Beach consignment store for some warmth.
 I wasn't sure about replacing these knobs, I thought about crystal ones but once I hung the botanicals over each one I decided to keep the old knobs. I didn't want to get too feminine in here.
This weekend I also finished my new headboard and I love how it turned out, but of course it didn't go as planned.
It's a long story but after leaving a decorater fabric store full of pricy fabrics that I didn't really love--I found a wholesale fabric store with gazillions of bolts to choose from. And such good prices.

I left with these fabrics feeling absolutely giddy that I paid almost the same price for all three-- that I was going to pay for one yard at the expensive place. I wasn't exactly sure what I was going to do with them but I did change my mind on my original plans for my headboard; instead of using a linen type fabric ---I decided to go with this warm, taupe velvety fabric (on the bolt).
In person it's soooo lush and I thought it would be so comfy to sit against when we're reading in bed.
Alright.
 Are you ready to learn from my mistakes?
Whenever you go to a wholesale fabric store and find that 'perfect' remnant that's the last one of its kind, leaning against the wall calling your name.....please have the salesperson unroll it so that you can see if there are any flaws.
Unfortunately--I added another week onto my headboard project after I found a light, sunbleached line going down the middle of this gorgeous fabric.
So what to do?
Well, after revisiting the fabric store and confirming that yes, I got the LAST piece of this fabric I switched plans. Back to the linen look fabric.

But with one change. Ever since the hubby told me he 'hated' the tufted look for our headboard I had decided on a straight, simple one. But I also wanted to add a little pizazz to it too. Especially since I was using such a common fabric.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do until I was thumbing through a magazine and boom.
That was it. 


So are you ready for a sneak peek?
...Here it is.....my Monogrammed Headboard!
I still need to mount it on the legs (which are actually 2x4 pieces cut to size so they attach to our bed).
But I'm pretty excited to see how it looks against my plank wall.
I've also been transforming "My Ugly TV Wall."
Remember this?
Here's what it looked like after I painted the walls and added new baseboards.
Still very bland and sad looking...right?


And here's how it looks right now...
 This weeked I finished putting up a shelf over the TV and started adding some accessories. I'll show more next time.



Thank you so much for stopping in, I'm always so happy to hear from you.
Peace and love to you from my sunny window in So Cal.
xo
Leslie


I'm partying with these friends:

19 comments:

Pier21cdn said...

Wow, headboard and monogram both look fantastic, can't wait for the full reveal!

sandi s said...

I love how your furniture looks painted! Your headboard looks great, I can't wait to see how the whole rooms comes together. Hugs,

Karen said...

I love the idea of the monogrammed headboard. Great job. Good tip on the fabric from a wholesale place as I buy tons of my fabric from Dorell Fabrics. I believe they would advise me to look at it before purchasing, but I could be wrong.
The furniture looks great and the botanics really look nice above each nightstand.
Great job.
xo,
Karen

Patty said...

I love your monogrammed headboard!

Sarah said...

You have definitely been a busy bee. Love the headboard with the monogram. Sorry about the computer issues. Not fun to loose all that work. Hope it gets resolved and all is not lost.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Leslie, It's amazing how a little paint can completely transform a piece. I love that you dressed up the headboard with the monogram.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the furniture and the headboard is genius.

Linda said...

So in LOVE with your headboard!
I've been looking at fabric also
haven't found the perfect one yet.
I think your idea just may work for my room.
Linda C in Seattle.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love how everything is turning out, Leslie! The dresser and headboard are going to be just right! Can't wait to see it all!

Carla from The River said...

The furniture turned out great. I like the color choice.
The headboard is so creative. Thank you for sharing.
Carla

Blondie's Journal said...

Your master is looking awesome, Leslie , and I love all of the changes you have done yourself...the dresser and nightstands and that headboard...sigh! It's wonderful that you found the perfect fabric at a bargain. Love the monogram, too. :)

I looked back at your last post. I've been going in circles with my hubby on how to define the shiplap I want on the kitchen ceiling and the walls in our powder room at the lake. He is not that savvy about the stye and insists on calling shiplap a product as opposed to a 'style. There is tongue-in-groove, plank and rabbit ear methods. I know I will do one of the last two. We have vertical planks in our bathroom here. I really do love the look of the plank although I may do the rabbit ear for the ceiling in the kitchen. We have carpenters but i'll be sure to mention they paint the edges first! I presume they will spray or roll the paint once installed. Good point and although you had a minor glitch, I LOVE it!!

Jane

Laura said...

Everything looks wonderful and every twist in the road you experienced made me think- 'that's happened to me too!'

Decorating on a budget which is how I have always done it is about adapting, right!?

Enjoyed visiting as always,
Laura

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Your bedroom look so beautiful! I love all the painting, there is nothing like fresh paint to give a whole new life to a piece. And your headboard? Just gorgeous...looking forward to more posts! Lidy

JoanMarie said...

Hello Leslie! Your furniture makeovers are divine to the extreme! The colors and hardware touches are perfect. The headboard? Love everything about it. You have done a beautiful job and should be so proud of yourself. The creativity is overflowing in the room. Simply wonderful Lady!

michele said...

You called it a while ago when you said we were making all sorts of similar decisions in our Reno, including recycling old bedroom furniture with paint. It looks great! But of course I would approve since it looks so close to what i did with ours! I am in Arizona at the moment for a sweet break from Reno madness. Peace to you.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You are a decorating machine, Leslie!!! Your newly painted furniture brings a fresh cottage vibe to the room. Love the botanical prints, too! I've been there when it comes to buying the end piece of fabric only to find I don't have enough for my project. The velvet fabric was lovely, but I can already see how gorgeous your monogrammed linen headboard is going to look! I can't wait to see the finished room!

I'm sure your dreams are sweet now that you're nearing the end of your master bedroom update. :o)

Thanks for inspiring us and have a wonderful weekend!

La Contessa said...

YOU are A BuSY BEE!!!!!!!!!
I would be a MESS if I lost MY PHOTOS................DEEP BREATHS.
YOU do VERY PROFESSIONAL WORK........I MIGHT ADD!
Now did you do the stitching of the MONOGRAM??IF YES, I am VERY IMPRESSED!
What are you going to do when the projects come to a HALT??
XX

Art and Sand said...

I like everything you are doing and how great that it's all budget friendly.

I wanted to tell you that after 5 months of a full body rash, it looks like the doctor might have figured it out and I might be human. Today was my best day in ages. If all continues, I hope we'll be able to meet up.

mollie's mom said...

Looks wonderful. Impressive skills on that headboard!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...