Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2020

Rustic Fall Tablescape





Hello there friends.

Today I'm joining Cindy and Mary Ann along with some talented blogger friends to give you some ideas for your next fall-inspired table.

I'm so happy to be included because I really enjoy playing around with flowers and putting together a pretty table. And you know me. I'm a big believer that if I can do something, you can too, so today I thought I would share some basic ideas behind my fall table.


The Charm of Rustic

For this project I decided to use my actual work table--the one I use for my table saw with all it's old paint stains and nicks. I even decided to skip placemats to show off all that rough wood grain.


For me, using a rugged aged table as a backdrop for the earthy colors of fall is a way to create a friendly, laid-back vibe. And that's how I want my guests to feel when they come to my home, completely comfortable and at ease. 


fireplace in-progress

My decision to set my table outside was also inspired by our new outdoor fireplace that my Dad helped us build on his last visit. And I promise to do an entire blog post on this fireplace, but today you'll get to see it (mostly )in the background.



Creating a fall table: 4 simple ideas
 
1. Find your inspiration

This is the first thing that I did when I got an email from Cindy inviting me to put together a fall table for this project. Before I rushed out and selected any flowers. Before I pulled out any dishes or stemware---before I did anything.

I had to get my creative juices flowing and that comes from being inspired.



When it comes to finding your inspiration for your table--it can be a smallest thing. A  set of napkins you found on sale. A piece of fruit. A collection of leaves you gathered on a walk. Or in my case, my  location.


Since my backyard is filled with hot pink bougainvillea and since I already had a burnt-orange linen runner, I decided to go bold with high contrast colors of orange and pink for the color scheme. 


Nothing muted or sedate about these colors.


Starting with an inspiration piece will provide your color scheme and from there----you can set a casual or elegant tone by the pieces--dishware and accessories-- you choose for your table.

2. Use what you have.


This is for all of you who don't have seasonal dinnerware or expensive stemware. It's great if you're a collector and you have classic china patterns etched with berries or autumn colored stoneware. But it's ok if you don't. When setting a fall table there's so much charm that comes with the simple beauty of plain white dinner plates and then accessorizing with nature.




I clipped olive leaves from my tree for the center of my table and added a few bittersweet branches with berries that I tucked around the flowers. I also happen to be someone who washes and saves my lemon curd jars (so yummy with Greek yogurt) that are perfect for votive candles and flowers, and help add layers to your table.




For this table instead of taper candles which tend to obstruct the view in real life, I tied jute string around pillar candles.

3. Shop the vegetable section of your grocery 


Golden-hued pears. Shiny red pomegranates. Garnet-colored figs or pink pumpkins. Whether you use them in your centerpiece or in lieu of a place card or just for colored texture between your votive candles, don't forget the rich colors that can inspire you from the produce section of your local market.


4. Simple is good

 I've been purging a lot of stuff lately and that includes all my colored stemware. These blue stem wine glasses are my only colored glassware now and to be honest, I tend to prefer stem-less wine glasses anyway. I just like the ease of them. 

I mostly use white dinner plates when entertaining too. I do have Christmas and Thanksgiving dishes packed away but as you can imagine, holidays are hard to think about now. 



For this table I used my navy blue salad plates along with these blue stem glasses to balance all the warm colors. I always prefer to use crystal goblets for water with slices of fruit. I think I got the plates at HomeGoods. The gold matte silverware is from Target and I love how the matte finish looks on the table. Stuff I had already.



Because I recently got rid of my old outdoor chairs, I'm using my leather dining room chairs outside. I also brought out this bench from the hallway and topped it with a miniature faux animal rug.




Well friends, I sure hope I gave you a few ideas you can use. And now you have to check out the gorgeous tablescapes from my talented friends. I know I'm excited to see what they've been up to.















Thank you so much for stopping by,
xoxo
Leslie


20 comments:

cindy hattersley design said...

Okay you are beyond amazing! You built your own fireplace and created a to die for tablescape?
I adore terra cotta and navy together for fall (well anytime). I love the idea of using different color and patterned salad plated with white. Such a simple addition that adds a lot of punch! Do I spy some new chairs? I absolutely adored this tablescape but then I knew I would!!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Be still my heart!...How very nice for your father to help you build that gorgeous fireplace. We are actually in the planning stages of building one at our new home. Your table setting is truly sublime. Love all of the beautiful warm colors. You truly have shown that "Simple is Good"; however, I say your "Simple is Magnificent" So very honored to join you all today! I wish you a most magnificent day!

La Contessa said...

OH LESLIE.........THAT FIRE PLACE IS SOMETHING!NOW YOU HAVE ME THINKING ABOUT WHERE I CAN PUT ONE!YOUR TABLE IS SCRUMPTIOUS!I LOVE IT ALL...........BRAVA!
XX

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Your table outdoors is stunning! The colors of your flowers, the figs and other natural elements all make this such a gorgeous setting for a meal shared with people you love. I'll be back later to see about how you made your fireplace outdoors, that's been on our "wish list" {well, probably more on my wishlist} forever.

Wishing you a beautiful fall! xo Lidy

Mary Ann Pickett said...

Leslie, this is so serene and beautiful. Love the floral arrangements...just perfect. You are so talented! Thanks so much for doing this with us!

Looking forward to more on the fireplace!
Take care.

kim at northerncalstyle. said...

Leslie, I love how you live! So California style..What a fantastic idea to use the rustic table. The pomegranates, figs and olive branches are my favorite things about this season! Love the mix here and your blue dishes too. I am envious of that fireplace!! Wow. I think using indoor chairs outdoors and the bench is so good also and makes it even more inviting. Love your ideas here. Fun doing this together. xoxo Kim

Sarah said...

Leslie, I don't know anyone or anything could improve on this gorgeous setting. I love that you used your work table with its rustic textures to enhance this pretty setting. The rust colors against the vibrant pinks are fabulous. I love the simplicity of the placesetting, the touch of the fig, and the alfresco setting. I wish I could fly in and join you in this beautifu spot.

www.mysoulfulhome.com said...

Leslie, So very nice to meet you thru this fall Project Design. You have an artist's eye for color. Your table is the epitome of casual elegance - that hallmark of California style. Thank you for sharing your wonderful inspiration!

Melanie said...

Holy moly, Leslie...this is incredible! Straight out of a magazine shoot. Seriously, you could easily be a set designer and photographer.

How I would love to live in California where I could be dining outdoors like that more often. It is just about time to store away our patio furniture, which makes me so sad every year. I sat outside earlier today with a book, but I had to brush a ton of fallen leaves off my chair first. I am trying to soak up all the outdoor time I can, as we won't be sitting back out on the patio until next April. I definitely live in the wrong state!

Your fireplace is stunning. I can't believe you and your father built that. I can barely hammer a nail into a wall, lol.

Art and Sand said...

Just like every table you design, this is lovely.

I see so many over the top table settings, but I prefer the rustic simplicity of your table. And I like that you used what you have.

Karen said...

This is such a fun post. I love getting inspiration from all of you talented women. Autumn is my favorite season to do table settings (usually for friends). Still, we're having our friends (one or two couples at a time) over for a patio meal and it's worked out well.
I can't wait to hear about your beautiful outdoor fireplace.
xo,
Karen

michele said...

Gorgeous inspiration and with cheerful colors I love seeing in fall - so much can be muddy and moody so what happy relief. And your fireplace! Can't wait to see how you guys did that. What a dream that would be for me. We're enjoying glorious weather this week, but it'll be flurries in a few! :)

mdickson said...

This is beautiful Leslie! And the fireplace is so welcoming! I hope I get to sit at that table someday����

Rita C at Panoply said...

Leslie, this is a beautifully organic tablescape. I love your new fireplace. Your photography is ethereal. Happy Autumn.

Carla from The River said...

Hi Leslie,
This is lovely. I like the idea of using what you have on hand. Lovely, lovely!
Looking forward to learning more about the fireplace.
Carla

Blondie's Journal said...

I really love this, Leslie. Fall is my favorite seasons and I love a rustic touch.

Jane

Loree said...

Your table is so pretty. I really like the vibrant colours and the combination of pink and orange. Gorgeous.

Unknown said...

i think my favorite picture is the water container with the strawberries, and the little milk glass flower vase - the one with the little polka-dot exterior. it reminded me of my mom. She had such an eye for interior design. They built their house with my dad doing much of the work himself, and my mom collected all their bits and pieces of Canadiana over the years. Jugs and pottery and candlesticks, and pie cupboards, and pie tables, and cranberry glass. Every room was a treasure. And yet a home vibe. as are all these pictures, so that is an amazing gift you've given us Leslie, given me anyway. xx Nancy

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Leslie, this is gorgeous. I love the rich colors. Your new fireplace looks fabulous. I have always wanted an outdoor fireplace. Eating alfresco is so enjoyable and probably a good idea with the darn COVID. A pleasure seeing your lovely home.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is all so beautiful, Leslie...who wouldn't feel special dining out there? The colors and flowers are wonderful, but my favorite part is how you created rustic texture with the old table! Such a beautiful contrast! Can't wait to see more of that fireplace!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...