Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

how to make a lush, green Christmas centerpiece

 

 

DSC_0537

 

Hello everyone.

Crazy morning around here as we’re packing for our trip up North. But before I head out of town I wanted to show you one more possible idea for your Christmas table.

 

DSC_0592

These days I’m loving the long, fresh green garlands down the table. Very elegant and dramatic don’t you think?

So I originally planned on making one using the classic pairing of magnolia leaves, lemon leaves and seeded eucalyptus.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any locally and ran out of time.

 

DSC_0513

So I had to use what was close.

No, I’m not one of those lucky ones with a Magnolia tree in my yard. But I do drive around with clippers and when I saw these trees at an apartment complex I just got out and ….clip clip clip.

Free magnolia leaves. Done.

In place of the lush, green lemon or bay leaves I simply went in my backyard and clipped my Ficus leaves (a poor man’s version but it worked)

I also purchased a bouquet filled with Christmas greens since I don’t have access to pine or cedar branches or berries….

 

DSC_0502

I used green wire to bunch up my Ficus leaves…

 

I layered a foundation of Ficus leaves and magnolia leaves down the center of the table. Inserting berries along the way.

DSC_0563

DSC_0542

And at the center I used the $4.99 bouquet from Trader Joes of Christmas greenery, (they have the best deals during the holidays)

inserting the pieces into the garland around a silver bowl of white carnations

DSC_0545

When making your garland …repetition creates a balanced look.

I duplicated the ends of the garland so that both sides had Ficus and magnolia leaves in the same position.

Feel free to clip the magnolia leaves if they protrude in places. You can even insert the individual leaves where you need them.

DSC_0553

DSC_0629

Once your garland is finished you can add fresh pomegranates or shiny bulbs.

You could even insert fresh flowers.

DSC_0657

Sigh, I wish you could see how lovely it is in person.

See how easy? You can do this.

DSC_0630

DSC_0489

 

DSC_0667

(love these cocktail napkins)

Well I’m off to finish packing. The hubby’s calling me.

 

DSC_0590

 

Blessings to you all,

xoxo

Leslie

 

 

11 comments:

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your table is beautiful with the fresh flowers and greenery. I've pinned the photo of your mirror with pine and red ornaments tucked in- so pretty!

Safe travels and Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Vickie

Sarah said...

Leslie, your center of greens is absolutely lovely. The simple statement down your long table is very elegant. I adore your little birch bark reindeer too. Did you find them this year?
Have a safe trip and a very Merry Christmas! ~ Sarah

Karen said...

What a pretty table, Leslie. I love the white carnations and the greens runner. I was so happy with the $4.99 greens from TJ's. Can't beat the price or the freshness.
Enjoy your family, best wishes to you.
xo,
Karen

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

So lovely, Leslie...and it's wonderful when you can find greens in your yard! Safe travels...have a wonderful Christmas!

Carla from The River said...

Beautiful! I love to decorate with nature.I love how this turned out for you.
Safe travels and Merry Christmas!
Carla

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Have a wonderful holiday Leslie. Joyeux Noël!

Leslie said...

I adore magnolia leaves and they are tough to come by around here. You are so funny Leslie;) Just get those shears out and cut from a local tree ..done! So simple and pruning is good for the trees. I like your approach to home décor. Pared down elegance and always a personal touch. I do wish I a more creative side whereby I could see the vision without always buying things. Recycling what we have and keeping things simple is the way to go.

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year ahead.

xxleslie

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Merry Christmas Leslie!

michele said...

merry christmas, leslie. your arrangement is lovely, and the image reflected with the mirror is just stunning. i wish you days of wonderment and a calm heart as you continue to add to the beauty at the new abode. thank you for your support and friendship through the year even though i would much rather be meeting you regularly for lunch. peace to you.

Lori said...

Just beautiful Leslie! We had 7 around our table yesterday and we were half way through dinner when I realized the candles did not even get lit. Not that it mattered as the people sitting around it were the important things in life. Hope you are enjoying your Christmas and that you are surrounded by those you love. xoxo Merry Christmas.

Gypsy Heart said...

Beautiful!

xo
Pat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...