Pages

Thursday, November 20, 2014

last minute ideas for your Thanksgiving table…

 

Hello friends.

It’s hard to believe that Thanksgiving is around the corner. I’ve been busy working on lots of projects around here, going at a steady pace and enjoying that feeling of nesting. And I can’t wait to share some of my progress on my office re-do and my kitchen.

But today I needed a dose of escapism and what better topic is there… than to chat about your Thanksgiving table. I so enjoy setting a pretty table and I like to help you do it too.

Are you hosting Thanksgiving this year?

tumblr_ne9q3dyObf1qll5dxo1_500.jpgmidnightinparistumblr

source

We’re headed to my parents home for the holiday and Mom has already mentioned she’s using dark burgundy and gold on her table.  I think jewel colored napkins and metallic shades are perfect partners and it’s so easy to grab a spray can of gold or silver or bronze and add those shiny details.

I actually have these dark purple napkins which is why I was drawn to this tablescape.

Look how easy this centerpiece is…you could do this. Magnolia leaves and persimmons down the center of the table with fresh flowers that pick up the colors in your napkins.

And of course, candles.

tumblr_nckglzYu3i1qm9xogo1_500

Maybe because I’ve been so busy this season but lately I’m in the mood for simplicity and this table fits the bill. Piling creamy colored pumpkins and gourds in the middle of your table and using greens to fill in the gaps is easy to do and looks so pretty with votive candles.

tumblr_nezpfzuIBU1qll5dxo1_1280

source

If you’re not lucky enough to have a collection of fancy fake pumpkins (I don’t) you can still achieve this look.

Glam up your pumpkins with spray paint and glitter and lay them on straw colored raffia for a textured look. Press leaves from your yard in books overnight, and use these for your placecards. Simply use a gold pen to write the name of each guest on the leaf.

Simple and pretty.

tumblr_neuenpLLfT1tvvxvgo1_1280

Or… spray pinecones gold and use these as your place cards.

Do you want to convey a personal message on your Thanksgiving table but lack these cool black plates?  This is what you do. Turn over a salad plate and trace a circle on black construction paper and then cut out the circles. Write out your message with a gold pen and place these on each dinner plate.

Voila!  The same look for pennies.

tumblr_nezqce8pil1qll5dxo1_1280

Here’s a table set with gold everywhere for a dramatic effect.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-21-at-7_20_07-PM

I haven’t done this one yet, but here’s another idea for easy placecards. Make a slit in the stem of a miniature pumpkin and slip your guest’s name inside.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-21-at-7_21_18-PM

This is a wire shaped into a circle with a piece of fresh rosemary tied to it, you can hide the wire with the green leaves and a ribbon on top.

I think this is lovely don’t you?

However.. if you’re in a time crunch or you’ve got a small army invited for dinner, keeping your table decor simple doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice beauty.

untitled

You can never go wrong with fresh flowers and candles and a few pieces from the farmer’s market…

tumblr_newi8xFsWI1rdbqhmo1_500

tumblr_neu4gu01EV1tg30zso1_1280

source

thanksgiving110

source

And before I go I have to share a favorite.

This table setting is not simple but I’m crushing on the details of this elegant look…the woven placemats against the black tablecloth, the white napkins with this chic dinnerware…and the use of a white pen on black paper for simple placecards…it’s perfect.

It’s such a different look for Thanksgiving, maybe that’s why I’m loving it. 

Do you have a favorite here?

80705572cc93a12ee1cd26c593ba3760

source

I sure hope I’ve given you some ideas you can use

…but mostly I hope my blog has been a happy place for you today.

And that later you find time in your busy schedule to stop yourself and simply dwell on the good moments that have happened in your day.

 

9387615251f73f6fd640251aa404b961

 

 

Wishing you a peaceful November day,

xo

Leslie

 

 

 

19 comments:

Karen said...

Leslie,
I love simple. I am really pleased its "trending" these days. I just love the natural elements you've found for us...the candles wrapped in veggies is inspired, but you're right, what could be easier than fresh pumpkins clustered in the center of the table with greens to fill in the gaps. Such a pretty compilation of table scapes.
We're invited to California son #2 and family for the big feast. I'm fixing several dishes and I know Sarah will set a beautiful table.
Enjoy your time with your folks and family.
xo,
Karen

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Well our Thanksgiving has come and gone and I did not host it. However, we were at a fabulous vacation home of dear friends and it was beautifully prepared as usual. I will get my chance at Christmas to set a nice table and I am actually thinking I will take the idea of the spray-painted pine cones and use it then. Love that possibility. Great inspiration Leslie. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with your family and friends. :)

designchic said...

I am happy to say that I will not be cooking this year, but admit that I do love setting a beautiful table - the second centerpiece is a favorite!

Calypso In The Country said...

I love the simplicity of the one with the white candles and tangerines. And I always love white pumpkins too! I still haven't figured out my table...
Shelley

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
I did the small pumpkin, glittered place settings last Thanksgiving. Every one loved them!!
This year I am doing a birch bark place setting. I hope to share it on my blog this next week. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving
Will your boys be home?

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Leslie,
Every one of those tablescapes is lovely, but I'm drawn to the table with pinecones, oranges, and candles. I'm glad I stopped by here today. Seeing that photo reminded me that I want to make some clove studded orange pomanders for our table. They're pretty and they smell good, too!

I hope you have a safe trip and a lovely day with your family.
Vickie

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Not only does this post make me happy, but also inspired! So much beauty...I especially love the "I'm glad you're here" plate idea...isn't that what it's all about? Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family, Leslie!

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

We don't do Thanksgiving in Italy but I promise I have bought a pumpkin and we will be eating tortellini di zucca! Xcat

Leslie said...

Hi Leslie! I used magnolia leaves, pumpkins, and candles last year and I loved the look. It's so simple and organic which is my preference for Thanksgiving.

Hope all is well and that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

xxleslie

cindy hattersley design said...

For some reason I have always been drawn to that dark table with the mums & white pumpkins! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving if we do not chat before!!

Jennifer said...

I love the painted pumpkins! Such great ideas, each one. Wishing you a wonderful Thanksgiving surrounded by your loved ones.
XO Jennifer

Gypsy Heart said...

I found something I love in each and every tablescape. Thanks so much for sharing! I am coveting those purple napkins...I think that's something I need to make. Be awesome for Mardi Gras too!

Wishing you a safe and a very blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!

xo
Pat

michele said...

awesome tips and thank you, thank you for calming me down. i do not like hosting thanksgiving--too much pressure! but it's me this year so your inspiration is much appreciated! peace to you right where you are, leslie.

karen@somewhatquirky said...

every piece of your collection is lovely. there are several I like best, but I don't remember what they are. we don't use a centerpiece at Thanksgiving. Not enough room. I always look at it like the people are the decoration. I do try to decorate the dessert table - if there is enough room! I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family, with lots of yummy food, and even more love!

Unknown said...

I spotted these images of yours a couple of days ago and wanted to come back to linger just a bit. I love your style, Leslie, and these tablescapes hit just the right note of a little natural and a little luxury. Perfect! I want to dip my pumpkins in a little glitter! Yes, I'm hosting this year. With the girls all being back in town we've decided to assign each a dish to bring. I'm definitely looking forward to it! Happy Thanksgiving my dear friend!
xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

LESLIE! There is so much beauty here, I can't begin...what a sweet little rosemary wreath...I have to make one even if it's just for me! Burgundy and gold? Your mom has it RIGHT! What a great idea for the décor. May your Thanksgiving be a fabulous time of love and memories. Thank you for stopping by! Anita

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Beautiful Thanksgiving inspiration Leslie! I especially love simple, natural and a little rustic. The creamy pumpkins with lots of greenery is my favorite! ... I really just popped in to say hello. I've been thinking about you. My computer crashed, so I'm on an unexpected, but surprisingly welcome blog break. A virus has turned everything on my computer to code and I'm desperately trying to find someone who can recover my pictures. Otherwise, life is good. ... I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving with the people you hold most dear to your heart! Hugs from me to you!

Marilyn said...

I think they are all beautiful, but the one that really caught my eye was the tangerines-pinecones-candle centerpiece. Elegant simplicity!

Wishing you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving. A big thank you to YOU for producing such an interesting, creative blog. It's a must read for me!

Marilyn (in Dallas)

Unknown said...

Just stopping back by to say hope your Thanksgiving was very special. I still want those gold dipped pumpkins-but ran out of time. I have a fun giveaway going on at Stylemindchic Lifestyle (including the fabulous Savvy Sleepers Pillowcase!).
Happy December Leslie!
xx, Heather

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...