Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

the secret to a great kitchen remodel: Nate’s advice

526002a6697ab06fb0001aac__w_540_s_fit__thumb[1]

There’s so much to share right now I honestly don’t know where to begin. But since it’s been awhile since I did a design post I thought I’d talk about kitchen remodels today because-- as most of you know-- we’ve been on a house hunting adventure lately.

And unfortunately I’m seeing lots of awful looking kitchens and bathrooms in some of these older homes.

I’m pretty clear about what I’d like in our kitchen remodel, but it’s always fun to hear what kind of materials others are selecting.

DP_Fiorella-Design-White-Kitchen-Sink-Island_s3x4_lg_thumb[5]

most popular kitchen-Houzz 2013

According to this Houzz Survey this was the most popular kitchen added to Ideabooks by readers in 2013.

Do you like it?

Apparently this is what folks seem to like in their kitchens these days:

  • 75 percent of readers prefer having soft, neutral colors in the kitchen.
  • 65 percent of readers prefer stainless steel appliances
  • and half will select a tile backsplash for their next remodel.

If you could remodel your kitchen right now, do you know your taste?

What would you do differently?

 

tumblr_mxlrlrrtow1rou1pro1_500thecuriousbumblebee_thumb[4]

Here’s a few kitchen photos I selected for various reasons…but one unifying theme of these photos is that I like a kitchen that feels warm and comfortable enough to be the hub of the house. Not too formal, but classic. And not too perfect either.

BOLD1dustjacket_thumb

I love white, lots of natural light and big farm sinks.

And these windows would be on my dream list.

tumblr_my6p821K8G1qkww7to1_500_thumb

After years of having tile floors I’m ready for some warm looking wood,

the wider the plank the better.

Houzz_Smith_106089_0_8-5827-traditional-kitchen_thumb[7]

And even though I loved the ease and beauty of granite in my former white kitchen…I’m ready for something different.

You can get a tour of my old kitchen HERE.

Design-by-Best-and-Company.jpgjasonballinteriors_thumb[3]

These days I’m keeping an open mind about other materials… like maybe wood on the counter or island…

tumblr_mtsd22TJ4R1rzjxvno1_500_thumb[4]

via

c8cfe6f0c2e1c1311aa37e0d92266c3a_thumb[5]

a1218c590ed6aa2f_8200-w660-h406-b0-p0--traditional-kitchen_thumb[6]

Although I still can’t let go of marble countertops despite all the warnings I’ve heard about stains.

image5big.jpgsmithandvansantarchitect_thumb[5]

What is your experience with marble?

The other day I stumbled on this short video of Nate Berkus talking about his recommendations for a timeless kitchen remodel.

Are you curious about his opinion?

nate-berkus-manhatten-home-kitchen_thumb[12]

Here it is:

Nate Berkus reveals the secret to a great kitchen.

 

tumblr_n2ny5aqYxF1qgfhmwo1_500_thumb[3]

via

And if you’re still in the mood for more kitchen inspiration

grab a cup of coffee or tea and click away:

White Cottage Kitchen Ideas

Great Ideas for the Kitchen Island

9 Steps to a Kitchen Remodel

Cindy’s Ikea Kitchen Remodel

 

129056345541315085_RqUR7GU3_c_thumb[2]

 

As always.. I’d love to hear your views.

xo

Leslie

 

I’m linking this post with these friends:

http://www.stonegableblog.com/2014/03/the-scoop-112.html

http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2014/03/210th-inspire-me-tuesday.html

 

 

17 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Fabulous kitchen and so much inspiration. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

michele said...

love these kitchens. mine is 7 yrs old now. i studied lots of pictures but i found making just one decision (like on cabinet finish) wiped out a whole lot of options for the rest of the decisions so it's tricky. if there isn't too much natural light, i would opt for a mainly white kitchen not because it's trendy but to keep things feeling bright. i have seen kitchens at ikea lately which have blown my mind so don't forget them even if you don't plan on buying materials from them. hang in there!

michele

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Wonderful kitchens! and as for marble my opinion is age is character....and marble shows how you love her. If that's the look you like, then go with marble. I personally love marble but my budget was more of a granite so I got as close to marble as I could afford. It's your kitchen, your mortgage payment....get what you want :-)

Leslie said...

These are all beautiful Leslie. I currently have/had white marble, black granite combination on the counters and white cabinets with black below the island. The new kitchen will be white with an antique or taupe glaze on the cabinets and I will paint the island base black. I guess I'm tired of the white-white look. I also bought an Ilve range ~ in black. The windows are gorgeous in these kitchens and hopefully we will be able to have lots! I like and need all the light coming in. I spent so much time laying out the kitchen plans and I'm crossing my fingers that it will look okay. We are almost ready to submit everything to the city..yikes!

Hope you are enjoying your Monday! xxL

Art and Sand said...

If we could redo our tiny space, I would remove the granite we put in 8 years ago and go with granite of a different color- maybe even dark blue or wood counters. I would change the cabinet doors to glass fronts on a few of the cabinets and we would open up the bearing wall to create an island.

None of this is going to happen except maybe the glass front doors. But, I am content with what we have because the kitchen is no my domain.

Sarah said...

Leslie, the Houzz kitchen would not be my favorite. For me, the floors are distracting and don't look natural. The gray / green tile washes out, and I also would select the counter top they did. The whole kitchen just doesn't do anything for me. I found your other kitchen inspiration photos much more appealing and interesting.
Our kitchen remodel was done in 95, so nothing really new and up to date in our kitchen. That said, we have a white farm sink, a gorgeous copper vent hood, and sub zero refrigerator / freezer drawer and cabinet system. Absolutely love the configuration for our small galley kitchen.
We have a rusty red granite on the counters and backsplash with white cabinets. Oven, microwave, and dish washer are all stainless which we'd do again. I'd go with a white marble or quartz for the counter tops today. The lighter color reflects and as we age our eye sight appreciates more light. I've been told the quartz gives the look of marble without the problem of staining. We like using an oriental rug on our hardwood floors, and we made two of the cabinets with glass front doors. Hung two antique French pot holders for cookware. They are made of pine with a shelf across the top and bottom and two small drawers below on one. Love the look and extra storage!
More info than you need or want, I'm sure. '-)

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

beautiful inspiration. I am always thinking about what we could have done differently, but I truly like our kitchen

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Terrific kitchen all of them! Here, so much inspiration, wow!
FABBY

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Great inspiration photos, Leslie! I really agree with Nate's opinion of keeping the kitchen classic and adding personality and color with the accessories...it's a great way to keep the kitchen current.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

I love love love every single kitchen! It seems my kitchen remodel is still evolving! Goodness, the images you chose gives me such great ideas and inspiration! Lesley you have a great eye for a fabulous kitchen!!!

Custom Comforts said...

Love the kitchen photos Lesley! My favorite is also the favorite one - it is just so calm and serene looking.
I've been redoing my kitchen for over a year, just dragging my feet. I've repainted the cabinets white, but haven't gotten any doors on them yet. I really need to wind up this project since everything else is done. Love all the ideas from your photos, just wish my kitchen was larger so I could incorporate some of them.
Cindy

Linda said...

Love them all!!

Tamera Beardsley said...

Hope you are settling in well my dear!

xoxo
Tamera

Carla from The River said...

Beautiful kitchens.
We have a big white farm sink, and I would not trade it. A friend asked me recently if I would. ;-)

I have a white kitchen with a tile floor. Our kitchen is in need of updates. Starting to plan and dream up ideas.
:-)

Lori said...

My kitchen is in desperate need of a makeover as the first one we did was a half ass job about a year after we moved into the house and we were on a shoestring budget. I would go classic and after watching Nate's video I think I could be his assistant *wink*. Wood for an island area would be ideal and my friend Kim has marble on her countertops and loves it and she cooks all the time. One of these days you will walk into a house and it will speak to you ~ that my friend is when you will know you are home once again. xoxo

cindy hattersley design said...

I love every one of these kitchens!

Unknown said...

I too like a kitchen where I like to stand and cook and spend for most of the time. Your suggestions for kitchen are ultimate. Thank you so much for sharing. I am too in search of remodelling my kitchen in Cumbernauld but my kitchen space is somewhat smaller than the normal ones. Some of your ideas can be implemented in it. Thank you again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...