Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

a Halloween scavenger hunt and a guaranteed smile

 

 

2ce356b87c578e2c561704ecbebee316

Do you love old fashioned scavenger hunts as much as I do?  

a981001000diningtablexl

When the boys were in grade school I absolutely loved the mass hysteria of a great Halloween party. 

tumblr_lst7vlWS5j1qfrda1o1_500

Yes, my sanity may be questioned but the sounds of kid-chaos, with the roar of screaming, excited boy voices and the sight of wild things everywhere made my little heart happy…

and the other day while I was clearing out some drawers…look what I found…

IMG_4356

And this made me smile.

It was one of my old scavenger hunts filled with the original clues that each team had to endure  complete

in order to get their list of items. Because who wants to simply hand out a list? Much too easy. No, there have to be clues that lead to the scavenger list, at least that’s my ghoulish thought.

263531015664876245_sO5B2clv_c

(And plu-leeze tell me you know what a scavenger hunt is or I shall have to cast a spell on you)

now in case you have a moment of insanity and choose to host your own Halloween party…I’m sharing my ready-made scavenger hunt right here for You. In case you’ve got some kiddies or grand kiddies ready for some fun.

 (see my party notes at the bottom)

1dc228ccbb8ecf275d84a3e3a40ab7f2

clue 1

Untitled-1

 

 

tumblr_lsgivkhozS1qku5b2o1_500_large

 

Clue 2

Untitled-1no2

 

1-400x400

Clue 3

Untitled-1no3

 

428814_401838603209166_166883778_n_large

clue 4

Untitled-1no

 

64180_Original

Untitled-1no5

Now here are a few party notes:

apparently we invited the entire 6th grade class courtesy of these Dollar Tree fingers: easy to make and pass out at school

DSC_0159

 

because we had so many kids I divided them into four teams:

 
Frankie’s Friends (blue sticker)

Mummy’s Gang (red sticker)

Dracula’s Dudes (yellow sticker)

The Pumpkin Heads (orange sticker)

Directions for clue 1

instead of fighting over their team name the kids had to bob for apples to get it.. We drew straws to see who would represent their team at the water bucket. Each winner of the straw drawing got their own bucket with apples that were marked with a colored sticker that would tell them their team name.

Directions for clue 2

hide lots of cheap masks from trees and only attach the clue to four masks

Directions for clue 3

fill a plastic pumpkin  with cooked spaghetti, peeled grapes and anything else gooey and give each kid a few seconds to find something really tiny. Rotate kids so everyone can try. When a team  member finds the object their team gets the next clue.

Directions for scavenger hunt:

everyone gets the list at the same time

hand out brown bags and assign parents…the only rule is no going to same house

That’s it, easy peasy. Oh, and lots of yummy treats too.

 

e6a9ba83efa8170cae13a9ed72239707

41d5bd96feae5c3c54a3e4f6aedf42b4

 

e5de67bfd61998f013025064ed10127c

sc00420888

The magic of Halloween

Last year we had a knock on our door and when I opened it there were five giddy girls on my doorstep with a list of stuff we didn’t have. I was frantically trying to help them and one of the items was to get someone to dance the Macarena with them. They had a music box and luckily I remembered how to do it.

hmmm..

When was the last time you danced the Macarena on your doorstep with a bunch of ten year olds? Not lately?

…well click here for a guaranteed smile:

a world wide hug

 

are you getting in the Halloween spirit yet?

xoxo

Leslie

 

I’m partying at these fun places:

http://www.commonground-do.com/2013/10/be-inspired-162-simply-fall.html?

http://www.stonegableblog.com/2013/10/tutorials-tips-and-tidbits-70.html

http://www.jenniferrizzo.com/2013/10/fabulously-creative-friday-and-call-for-contributors.html

 

 

(photos: pinterest halloween board, rococo & caffeine blogspot, leahbrier.com and i.imgur.com)

16 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

when I was a kid my parents always had the most fun Halloween parties, and most often there was a scavenger hunt. so much fun, so many great memories!!

Sarah said...

Leslie, what fun memories came flooding back to me while reading this post. I grew up with the fun of scavenger hunts each Halloween. Your party clues are adorable. If I were still teaching I would promptly use this for a fun classroom activity. You are a special mom!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Oh my goodness! This brings back memories of a birthday party I attended in grade school. The one item on the scavenger hunt list that sticks with me to this day is a toenail clipping! I'm pinning this for my daughters to use in the future. What a fun memory for you, Leslie. Thanks for sharing!

I'll be humming that song all night.

Art and Sand said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your Scavenger Hunt.

I always did a Scavenger Hunt with my classes the last day before Christmas break. They had to figure out the clues which involved math, vocabulary, geography, etc. and find the location on campus. I loved it because the shyer bookworms were often the stars of each group on this day.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

OH...this brings back memories! I used to love to do Halloween parties for the kids like this! Love the clues, Leslie!

Unknown said...

I do remember scavenger hunts! They were the best party fun. You are so creative Leslie. All this and moving too? You rock!!
Happy Weekend!
xx, Heather

Unknown said...

Oh My God I Can Not Tell You How Much I Love This Idea!!! And the part about doing that dance, oh god, the memories. I actually did do it recently. My sister's kids are all about Gang um Style (pretty sure I spelled that wrong), so my sister and I decided to show them the hit dance that everybody had to do when we where their age...music and all. The boys thought it was the funniest thing ever.

I'm going to have to remember this for when I have kids of my own...

Thanks so much and I will be sharing this as really do think it is a great idea!

Lori said...

What a cool Mom! Our house was never much for Halloween so in turn it has never been one of my favourites ~ maybe the sans kids thing helped that along as well. We always did a scavenger hunt on Christmas eve ~ it was always a good time. Don't you love coming across old memories when sorting through things. xo

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

Leslie, I love this post! I smiled the entire time I was reading it. I love the scavenger hunt idea! I would bet that your kids had the best parties because you are so creative.

Thanks for sharing, I am passing this on to my siblings to do with their kids.

Have a wonderful and relaxing weekend.

chillcat said...

Love the shot of the kids with moster heads! And the pumpkin path through the woods. We don't really celebrate Halloween here in Italy. I mean people do, and there are pumpkins everywhere, but I don't feel it's very authentic, it's sort of an adopted thing. My kids have always gone nuts though- firecrackers and costumes at school. Goodness knows what they will get up to next weekend when I'm in London and can't check on them!!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh, now this is FUN! I LOVE the idea of the spaghetti, grapes and other gooey items to put your hand into! My fourth graders from years ago would LOVE THIS! Leslie, what fun!

Thank you so much for your kind comments last night my dear; my mum has been gone now 27 years, but writing brings back so many memories..we keep them alive when we write. Now on to the BOO HOUR! Enjoy yourself and I love the ideas here! LOVE, Anita

Mary Ann Pickett said...

It totally makes me want to have a scavenger hunt!!!

Tamera Beardsley said...

My dear... what an absolutely fabulous idea! I am so impressed with your level of planning and details! What a gift for all of those lucky enough to be a guest at your events!

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Oh I remember many a good scavenger hunt. We used to be sent all over the neighbourhood...such fun...such memories.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Believe it or not, I don't think I've ever been on a scavenger hunt, but it sure sounds like fun! You my friend know how to have a grand time on Halloween! We had a grand total of four trick-or-treaters tonight. The rain came about 7pm and that was pretty much the end of it - bummer!

Monica said...

I love learning something new about you with each post. I'm not surprised that you concocted elaborate scavenger hunts! Can we come trick-or-treating at your house?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...