Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How to decorate your chandelier for a Halloween Party

DSC_0292 copy

Doesn’t this picture send shivers down your spine? This is a close-up picture of my very creepy, haunted chandelier.

Are you decorating for a Halloween party? I’m going to show you how to transform your dining room chandelier into a perfect fixture for your Halloween festivities. Your adult guests will love it, and it’s amazingly easy to create considering how dramatic the end results are.

Depending on the size of your chandelier, you will need the following items:

  • Dolls from your neighborhood thrift store. (I used six)
  • 1-2 cans of cheap white spray paint.
  • 3-4 yards of cheesecloth
  • fishing wire.

DSC_0276 copy

I covered the doll’s hair, removed the clothes, and sprayed the exposed doll parts with a can of white paint. For a ‘haunted look,’ I think the dolls look best in white dresses… but only one of my dolls had one.

The other doll heads came from miscellaneous dolls that I had picked up at a thrift store. I simply detached their heads and sprayed. I wanted these dolls to be hairless.

DSC_0275 copy

This is the “BEFORE” shot of my chandelier.

As you can see, my chandelier has six arms. After removing the shades, I decided to remove three bulbs and slip doll heads in their place. I kept three bulbs intact to provide some lighting, but you could remove all of the bulbs, it’s really a personal choice.

TIP: Once you put the doll heads on the “candle” they may be sitting too low in the candle cup. In that case, you can prop them up with a piece of masking tape. Simply scrunch the tape beneath the doll’s neck so that the tape is not visible.

DSC_0363 copy1

This is the “AFTER” shot of my haunted chandelier

Step One: Begin by cutting pieces of white cheesecloth approximately the length of your chandelier. Don’t worry about measuring, since the cheesecloth is going to be stretched and ripped to achieve the final look.  When you drape each piece, take time to use a fork or pair of scissors to help you pull the cheesecloth apart; don’t cut it, simply pull and stretch the cheesecloth. You could use your fingers to achieve this look as well.

DSC_0278

The photo above shows the cheesecloth before it’s been pulled apart. Each chandelier arm gets a separate piece of cheesecloth on it to begin the draping process. The more transparent each layer is, the better.

DSC_0279 copy

Step Two: Continue to add layers and shred until you get your desired look.

DSC_0293 copy

DSC_0341

Step Three: Attach the three dolls on the top of your lighting fixture. 

Once your cheesecloth layering is done, attach the three dolls onto the top of your lighting fixture. My dolls could  actually “sit” on top because of the shape of my chandelier. Use fishing wire to tie.

 

DSC_0321 copy

Step Four: Drill a screw into the top of each remaining doll head and Attach fishing wire to the screw. Tie each doll head to an arm of the chandelier.

You should only be able to glimpse them hanging at the bottom.

I used three doll heads because that’s all I had. As one last touch, I added a few spiders to the cheesecloth and …voila! You’ve just created a scary- looking chandelier that is ready to cast an eerie glow over your ghastly looking guests. Now have a sip of this yummy Witches Brew and enjoy!

 

 And me? There’s no time for rest,  I’m still decorating my spooky old house so stay-tuned for more Halloween photos and ideas to come.

Thanks for stopping by…

 

 

 

2 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

I just got a chandy back over the dining room table this year and now I know how to decorate it for Halloween! Thanks for the great tutorial.

Moonhowlingirl said...

You have amazing creativity! I love this. Thanks for sharing! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...