Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Five styling tips for your Easter table…

DSC_1735use

Sometimes all it takes is one neon yellow marshmallow bunny to inspire your entire Easter table.

At least that’s what happened to me. I took one look at that Peeps marshmallow package and I instantly knew I wanted a cheery yellow and white tablescape. So this weekend I put together my Easter table and wrote down a few of my tips for adding pretty touches to your table.

Tip One: Find an object that inspires you and gives you a color theme to build your table around.

DSC_1701copy

For my centerpiece I blended white hydrangeas, geraniums and craspedia to make a Spring arrangement. And I used wooden skewers from my kitchen to help position the bunnies inside all those flowers.

Tip 2:  For your flower containers use what you have. Transform old pots or metal containers with paint. Or shop thrift stores for interesting baskets and vases. 

This centerpiece container was originally a dark green metal thing wasting away in my garage and transformed it with gray and white chalk paint. And I didn’t buy the paint. Lately I’ve been making my own chalk paint with any paint color I happen to have. I  use this Plaster of Paris recipe and I’ve had great results with it. I decided a soft, silvery gray would go well with my yellow and white table.

What do you think?

DSC_1744

The next decision was the table covering.

Tip 3: On a budget? Use a standard white tablecloth and add color with a fabric remnant or burlap.

IMG_2842copy

Here’s what I made: two “no sew” burlap runners.

When I saw this yellow burlap in the fabric store I knew it was the answer. It was the perfect yellow too. I bought one yard for only $4.00, I laid it on our kitchen island and cut it in half. Than I decided to “dress it up” by adding white stripes on both sides.

I taped off two sections on each piece and used white fabric paint to make my stripe.

The final result? I had two runners that I laid across my long table.

IMG_2882

Here’s a photo of one of them.

DSC_1728copy

Each runner had two place settings on it.

DSC_1762copyAlthough I loved the yellow and white combo, I decided to add another color for some interest. I had some metal chargers I’d bought a few years ago at a thrift store and I wanted to finally use them.

But first they needed a quick paint job. So what color did I pick?

DSC_1778copy

This is my antique French sideboard that sits in my dining room. I’d painted it a few years ago after I bought it (looking brown and drab) at a garage sale and I thought this turquoise color would go perfectly with yellow and white.

Lucky for me, I put the cap on tightly because this is what I used to make the chalk paint for the chargers.

DSC_1752use

Tip 4: Paint your chargers to add unexpected color!

One of the benefits of using chalk paint is that you can write on it; these finished chargers could even be used as place cards too, wouldn’t that be a cute idea? Unfortunately, for this photo, I don’t have round, white dinner plates so it’s harder to read the words.

DSC_1677copy2

For place cards I decided to use  peat moss containers left-over from a French Country luncheon I styled last spring. I bought them all at the Dollar Store where they came in packs of ten for a buck.

copy

Tip 5: Make peat moss place cards

These are so easy to make. The white “lace” is actually the trim from a paper doily. (The doily is folded in half, cut along the lace and than hot glued to the rim of the peat moss container)

I used floral wire for the handle. Just poked a hole on each side and put the wire in, then I wrapped the wire with yellow satin ribbon.

IMG_2888copy2

The eggs were purchased at Cost Plus after Easter last year. I sprayed them yellow and used a chalk pen to write the guest’s name.

DSC_1748copy


And of course at a bunny-themed table, all the napkins should resemble what else?

Bunny ears!

DSC_1732copy

I used vintage glassware--old shot glasses—to hold pastel colored candies.

The mason jars (holding flowers and a Peeps bunny) have two ribbons, lace and yellow and white polka dot.

And the wicker placemats are from Pier One Imports. I buy them whenever they’re on sale because they go with so many different occasions and I’ve got twelve now.

IMG_2974opy

Well, I hope I gave you some ideas you can use for your own table. Here’s some more pretty inspiration too. The most important thing is to enjoy whatever small touches you add, because it’s your energy and thoughtfulness that make it so special.

Oh, and don’t forget the classic egg toss. Because after every Easter dinner you have to have a fun game for the adults too!

Let me know what you think…

xoxo

Leslie

I’m linking up with these friends:

 

23 comments:

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

It looks beautiful, Gwen! And I love the idea you have of painting the burlap - that is very clever, and I love the look it makes! The bright yellow is cheerful and happy - I love it :)

Anonymous said...

This is such a charming Easter table! I'm going to steal the bunny ears napkin idea for my blue and white Easter table. Thanks for sharing =)

Brandy~GreyLaneHome said...

Lovely Easter table. The table runner is the best. BTW~Leslie I saw your kitchen and it is divine.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

So charming. Love the napkins!

michele said...

it's so cheery and happy, and the turquoise is soooo the perfect accent. my son would love this tablescape since he has always been a peep freak!

love to you.

michele

One More Time Events said...

Gwen... this is so cute would love it if you came by and shared it at One More Time Events. http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2013/03/share-it-one-more-time-features-and.html
Tammy

Pam Kessler said...

Love the easy table runner idea. I had forgotten that we have matching turquoise buffets. Great color to add to the table.

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

The way you did the runners across the table instead of longways is really fun. I also love all the touches from the chalk painted chargers you could write on to the cute little peeps. They add such character. So many great layers and textures that make this really so much fun!
Liz

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Lovely! I love runners placed like that. And yellow is such a fun springy color :) Great job!

Christy James said...

Super cute Leslie! I never thought to paint my chargers!! Genius:)
XO,
Christy

Debra@CommonGround said...

waaaay too many cute things for one tablescape post!!! you really came up with some great ideas. LOVE your table!!

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

Wow! You've been a busy beaver! Everything looks wonderful, including the beautiful buffet! Great idea to paint your chargers. Some of mine are those cheapy resin chargers that would be great painted! Happy Easter!!

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

So pretty! You did a great job. You should join my new linky party {1 party, 5 blogs!}
http://www.somuchbetterwithage.com/2013/03/give-me-goods-party-1.html
Have a great week!
Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

Unknown said...

I love the runner. Am going to try this myself. Thanks for the information. Your table is beautiful. Susan @ throughmyporchwindow.blogspot.com

Anne Boykin said...

Beautiful ideas! Thank you for your lovely blog.

Leslie Harris said...

Hi Susan, I just wanted to warn you...

Whenever you paint burlap make sure it's placed on top of a dropcloth. The paint will leak through the burlap! Good luck and let me know how it goes :)
Leslie

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I love ALL your ideas for an Easter table! Perfect color choice for the chargers....I had my eye on that blue buffet in the background!!

Happy Easter!

Lori said...

Love how you used the peeps ~ they are so cute! You sure set an inviting table ~ the napkins are perfect. xo

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Oh Leslie!! I love it. I never seem to see burlap. Really nice. Oh and by the way, what time are we eating at??

Unknown said...

Just gorgeous Leslie - really really gorgeous! Love how the chargers match the sideboard!
XOX

Jamie-So Much Better With Age said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Give Me The Goods Monday, Gwen ;) Happy Easter!
Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

The Divorced Lady's Companion to Living in Italy said...

Beautiful! Happy happy Easter! I have to confess that when I was a kid in Australia Easter was also the last water skiing weekend, and here in Italy it is the last snow skiing weekend! So we will be outside under the snow, nothing fancy.. probably some vin brulé ! Xxcat

Sarah said...

Leslie, I think it's an adorable Easter table setting. Love the yellow burlap runners and the bunny ear napkin touch. I'm going to copy your Peeps centerpiece next year. Love the whimsy of this. '-)
~ Sarah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...