Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

How to transform an ugly backyard corner-on a budget!

DSC_0069

This is what my ugly corner looked like BEFORE I decided to do something about it.

Do you have a corner in your backyard that’s unfinished? A spot in your yard that’s an eyesore, only you don’t have a lot of time or money to focus on it?

Here’s what I did.

Problem 1: the fence is old and in need of a paint job.

Solution: cover it until further action.

DSC_0895DSC_0897

I went to Home Depot and bought two packs of reed fencing on sale for $21.97 each. The dimensions are 6 feet tall x 16 feet long.

DSC_0920DSC_0919

I also purchased five garden stakes for $3.97 each.

Then I had my two helpers cover the fence with a simple staple gun. How easy is that!

Next, Jim positioned the garden stakes into the dirt so they were firmly in the ground, and equal distances across the fence.

DSC_0072

Using a screw gun, we held each post in position with two screws a piece of wire.

DSC_0952

Here’s a closer look.

DSC_0900

I used some wire I had in the garage, but you could pick out different gauge wires at any hardware store.

Problem 2: No fancy overhead and no lighting?

Solution: Put a nail halfway into the top of each post. then take your heavier gauge wire and connect it to each post, winding it around the nails like this:

DSC_0901

Add a string of lights to the wire. I used garden wire.

DSC_0902

This is what it looked like after the lights were attached.

Fortunately we had an electrical box near this corner but if you don’t, you could use extension cords to get lighting to your area.

I moved my garden furniture here, added some plants and candles around…

DSC_0915 copy

And this is the AFTER photo taken from across the yard. What do you think?

DSC_0913 copy

I hope this project inspires you to tackle that one spot in your backyard that you’ve been avoiding. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for stopping by….

 

 

2 comments:

Janet said...

Great idea!!!

Q said...

Very nice upgrade look in your backyard. Now my cre8tiv ideas are running through my mind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...